Suspension Brakes 1st Gen R53 JCW suspension kit on pre-07/04 car

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by UKXPAT, Sep 6, 2012.

1. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am sure this has been asked before, but I have not been able to find a 'definitive' answer in all my searching. Can anyone confirm that the R53 JCW suspension kit will fit onto a pre 07/04 build car? (Mine is an 02/04 build.) In all the reading I have done, it appears that the only extra modification required on a pre 07/04 car is the additional cut out on the inside of the rear wheel arch. On the original press release on Motoringfile, it stated the kit should not be fitted to pre 07/04 cars, but the actual installation .pdf appears to contradict that! I have obtained a slightly used kit and have confirmed the spring rates, (Medium) match my car spec, but want to check the actual fit capability before booking the car in for installation.

2. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I do not see any reason for you not to be able to fit it.

I have the same wheels as you, and unless you are running a very wide treaded 215mm tire (read that as extra meaty than normal), or larger, then you should be able to run the JCW suspension.
    This should not cause any rubbing of the arch, unless you bottom the shocks out via a very large bump, etc.
    Or if you have the car lowered more than 'normal', which the JCW doesn't allow, as it's a fixed length setup.

With that said, I have never seen anyone have a problem getting any aftermarket suspension to work on a pre-facelift R50/R53 as a result of the arches/liners.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The really early 02 cars had some issues with retrofitting the later suspension goodies, but other than that it's pretty much much mix and match.

4. UKXPAT

UKXPAT New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I have now had the JCW suspension kit installed and thought I would provide a little feedback on the experience for those interested.

Firstly love the new feel to the car. Definately stiffer, but not bone jarring! Improves the cornering beyond my expectations.

I bought the basic kit (springs and coils) privately for a great price. Came off a slightly used race car, never been on the road. I did a little reserch online, and at my local MINI dealer, to confirm that the spring rates I had, matched my car. There are three spring selections, Soft, Medium, and Hard, front and rear. I pulled this information from the original MINI Marketing Release available on Motoringfile:- http://motoringfile.com/files/JCWSUSPENSIONKIT.pdf, then asked my dealer to quote me the correct part numbers based upon my VIN#. My spec required the medium ratings.

I didn't have the capability to do the install myself, so shopped around a little, armed with the original MINI installation instructions also available off Motoringfile:-
    http://motoringfile.com/howto/JCW_Suspension_Instructions.pdf
    This document gives a lot more detail around the differences between a pre-07/04 car and after. On pre-07/04 cars there is a cut out required on the inner rear wheel arch. This feature was added on post-07/04 cars. Attached is a picture of mine. You will also see the new bump stops that I ordered that normally come as part of the kit, ($5.90 each).
    I ended up having the work done at Patrick MINI in Schaumberg, IL. They basically matched the labor hours recommended in the installation manual, and they had a fixed alignment price.

After all the learnings from this experience, it brings a question up, that I wonder is considered often enough when installing lowering springs in general. The JCW kit only lowers the car by about 0.5" all around, and yet MINI recommends the fitting of the additional bump stops and the cut out at the rear (on pre-07/04 cars). Whenever I read about lowering springs from various other manufacturers that general lower the car more, I never see any mention of recommending bump stops or cut outs? Maybe MINI are overly cautious, and therefore me, but better to be safe than sorry!

Attached Files:

5. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    thank you for the pics and info. in a few weeks im going to try and put the GP suspension on my 02 justa and hope everything fits and works

6. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, late to the thread. Jul 04 was when they started building the facelifted 05 MINIs. The facelift did include minor revisions to the suspension. I guess the cut out, as you documented, was the difference. It's probably slight change in the mounting point or a change in shape of the panel.

In areas where it snows and roads are not necessarily cleared, that .5" of lowering will make a difference if your car is a daily driver and you use your car all year. That's the main reason why I haven't gone to the JCW suspension myself yet. However, when it is time to change struts and stuff on my car, I likely will go the JCW route. I have been in JCW cars and I do like the handling of them very much.

7. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering why you would do that as opposed to getting aftermarket for the justa?

8. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm buying a GP and am going to put coilovers on it so I was going to put the gp suspension on the justa since I have them and my girl can't afford coils for her justa