1st Gen R53 Race car Build - Chequebook racing

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by JannerSy, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Love this thread... good stuff. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of damage and gravel that got up in the engine. You must have gone in there very deep.

Really surprised they allowed #9 to race with full cars. That said, cool car though and it looks like good tight racing.

Can't wait to see more updates and good luck. Hopefully the next race goes nice and smooth. :D

2. JannerSy

JannerSy Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    #22 JannerSy, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Haha yeah the Silverstone off was a good effort. I'm still finding gravel.in places a year on lol

What car was #9?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chequebookracing/
    Insta; @chequebookracing

3. JannerSy

JannerSy Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Just checked, its a Fletchet hornet kit car. Its closed wheel, and much like Caterhams etc with wheel arches they are able to race with tin tops

Insta; @chequebookracing

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    I think the only thing your car is missing is a Motoring Alliance sticker, They add about 5 WHP:D

This is a good thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. JannerSy

JannerSy Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    So the off at Donny following that snapped driveshaft turned out to have caused way more issues which I hadn't realised between putting it in and off the trailer.

Basically my subframe had slipped and my top mount had jumped which left my steering wheel about 30⁰ off centre and skme odd characteristics. I noticed this when I drove out of the pits at Snetterton for qualifying which was less than ideal lol

Having never driven Snet 300 I didnt know the circuit, the weather was horrific with qualifying cut short to only 3 laps due to crashed cars.

Anyway, race 1 began with only 3 laps prior experience barely knowing what corner was coming up in heavy rain but turned into great fun! Ended up 8th of 34 although I did punt into someone which was less than ideal

Race 2 was dry but slippy. All was going well despite having only 10 laps prior experience on the the track. I was having a good race with a 30k+ Clio Cip Race car until i started getting fuel surge which caused me to retire the car to make sure didnt blow the engine. Frustrating!

Insta; @chequebookracing

6. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    I raced that track in one of my simulator games, nice track. It can be a bit tricky. But based on your videos, you made a good run out of it, especially with the weather and all. Good stuff.

Were you able to get the steering fixed?

7. JannerSy

JannerSy Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I've raced it since at the 6hr Birkett Relay at Silverstone.

The front toe and camber was so far out it was comical. The guy couldnt believe I'd managed a race with it that bad.

Snettertin is a great track but it's long so I dont think well suited to a 20min sprint race
    Insta; @chequebookracing

8. PascalR50

PascalR50 Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting works !!! Lot of idea for my R50 .

9. justdrive4

justdrive4 New Member

Oct 14, 2021
    Female
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    #29 justdrive4, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    It's been a year, did he manage to finish this build? Did he mention what type of street-legal tires he used? I am currently going through the options on 4wheelonlince since I'm thinking of installing a set.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    I don’t know if. It would be nice to hear

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    If I remember from his Facebook page correctly he did, but has since changed to a different car to race