1st Gen 100K+ R53 Rear Caliper Re-Fresh

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by k-huevo, Jul 12, 2010.

1. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    New brake guide pins are called for when servicing rear brakes on 100k mile +, first generation MINIs. The bad news is these stainless steel guide pins list for more than $20 each. Indeed my guide pins had surface pitting and rubber transferred from the guide bushings, but they were still straight, and I don't see these requiring a precision fit. I polished them with 2000 grit sandpaper to give them close to a new finish. New guide bushings went on the calipers plus a little high temp synthetic/PTFE grease for the guide pins. Replacement clips were installed too, although I don't think there was anything wrong with the old ones. The piston boots and seals were still doing their job, and I've discovered over time some things are better left untouched.

[​IMG]

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Kieth the last time I checked the rear R53 calipers are a non serviceable part requiring to replace the whole caliper no re-build kit or piston available? You can get a seal using the oem number and crossing it over in Federal Mogul National seal/BCA. Has this changed?
    I had to build my own tools to dis-assemble/assemble mine when I powder coated them so I can understand why they are NS.

Nice information about how to clean up the guide pins.

Real OEM
    RealOEM.com BMW R53 Cooper S REAR WHEEL BRAKE

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    #3 BThayer23, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    Did you consider changing the rubber boot and/or piston seal?

Edit: didn't read the last line. gotcha.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I replaced the rubber OEM guide pins with the solid ones and love them.

I just service them a couple of times a year with my wheel/tire change over.

5. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +664 / 0 / -0
    I have had rear calipers not work right on my 2002 and 2003 Coopers. The inside of one and the outside of another was not making enough contact with the rotor.
    Would solid guide pins help with that? What are the downsides of using them?

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you're not getting even contact...

make sure that the pins don't have stuff on them (like Keith mentioned) and that the pads are free to move in thier slots. If everything is really clean and free to move, then you won't get that pronounced uneven wear.

I can't think of any downside to the solid caliper bushings other than having to maintain them. When I was running stock calipers in the front, they were a great addition. I'm still running them in the back. When I do a pad change, I take the pins out, clean them up, and lube them again with some moly lube. Mine have got almost 80k miles or so on them.

Anyway, I love them and wish they were on the car from the factory.

Matt

7. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    the rear calipers can be serviced...all it is back there is just a rubber boot and a seal...you can buy the kits on amazon for a few bucks...you can service them like any other brake caliper

8. Cone Assassin

Cone Assassin Local Shop Owner

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0