Question R55 Clubman R55 Driver Door Opening issue

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by technogeek, Jan 8, 2019.

1. technogeek

technogeek New Member

May 21, 2014
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My 2008 R55 Clubman driver door has an issue opening, and I was wondering if someone who has had this can advise me.
    I understand this has been discussed in other threads, but mine seems to have unique symptoms.
    Temperature do not seem to be an issue.
    When I squeeze the handle and pull it will not open 90% of the time.
    When I squeeze the handle and jerk it hard, it opens most of the time.
    When i squeeze the handle and push the door closed tighter, it opens almost every time.
    If I roll down the window and pull the inside latch it always opens.
    Would this info mean I need to replace the Comfort Access Left Handle 51212752577?
    Or the Rotary Latch Lock Left 51212752595 ?
    Please assist me in determining a fix.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I had something like this happen to me and I fixed it. None of the parts are bad and you should not have to replace anything.

The cable, inside the door, that runs the outside handle to the inside handle has too much slack in it and is flooping around. This happens over time with years of use.

I took the inside door cover off and looked at the door while I used the outside and inside door handles. You will see the cable moving and that movement is not allowing the cable inside to open the door from the outside 90% of the time.

To fix the issues two high quality T&B cable ties (zip ties) do use the cheap ones they brake easy. Well unless you like taking the inside door cover on and off to replace them. :rolleyes:

Looking at the cable you loop one tie around it but do not tighten it fully. Next you put a short self tapping screw into the door and leave room to get the second cable tie around it. You will decide the best location for the screw to secure the cable when you see the sloop and movement of the cable when opening the door from the outside.

The last step is to link the two zip ties together like a chain and slowly tightening them to pull the window cable taught removing the flooping slack. By dong this the cable now has a tight track again and the sloop will be eliminated and the door will open from the outside 100% of the time. ** if the door is unlocked :p

Make sure you test it several times befor you put the inside door cover back on and you will be good to go.

3. technogeek

technogeek New Member

May 21, 2014
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Dave.0,
    If I am understanding you correctly for this fix, the goal is to limit any movement in the Cable from the outside door handle to the lock mechanism. You are saying the movement in the cable is causing the latching mechanism to NOT get the right amount of movement that causes the release properly.
    Is this right?
    David

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Kind of, the outside handle goes to the front inside handle via a cable like brakes on a bicycle. Metal wire inside a tube / cable. It’s a silly euro thing.

Most other cars use a solid metal rod or bar that does not flex in the door. The lock is connected separately.

5. technogeek

technogeek New Member

May 21, 2014
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Dave.o
    I finally had a chance to warm up the Garage and try this.
    I got the Inside Door Cover off, and the trim stuff to guide the Glass.
    I do see the cable excessively moving when I squeeze the outer handle.
    I also see the Wire move a lot like it is too long so it has slack.
    I do not see how you were able to get a wire tie on that cable, WoW!
    Did you remove the glass? That seems like a whole lot of work!:Hungover:
    I was able to get a tie on the cable but it is not right, and is tied to that silver like shaft the seems to come from the key lock mechanism.
    Anyway It is working enough to last until it is warm enough in the garage.
    And I wanted to ask if you have some skinny long alien like fingers to get in there so far.
    If you didn't remove the glass, please let me know your technique.
    David

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Its a pain to get in there! I have replaced the door lock that is fun.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I do my cable tie on the part of the door that has the plastic/ paper vapor barrier. I don’t go inside the door where the glass is.

I stay on the outside of the door that you can see when you take off the inside plastic door panel. Not inside where the window and lock are.

You will see the black cable going to the front door handle that’s where you pull the slack out and put a zip screw with a wire tie.