Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires R56 Brake Pads for 75% Track Use and 25% Street

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by countryboyshane, Jul 8, 2010.

1. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #21 btwdriver, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    The TSW BDM is actually the kit that I was vaguely referring to as "the largest kit I could stuff under a 15" wheel". It is a great kit and worked for me for a while. As both my car and I got faster, I found that there were a couple of tracks that I run that it just couldn't keep up with the heat loading. I even added some custom brake ducts that brought the air all the way to the center of the rotor.

I made the decision to go to the bigger brake kit after a particularly close call off where I came within 1 foot of putting my car into the armco. I lost brakes after a 100mph straight, heading into a 180 degree turn. I managed to get the car slowed to 70mph before going agricultural, even that seemed VERY fast when approaching the wall.

The one other person that I know who is fast and runs the BDM is right on the verge of what the brakes will do. If his car gets any faster he will exceed the ability of the brakes.

For the record, I have an R56 that makes just over 200hp/230tq. I think if you keep your car under this threshold (mostly the torque) and are running R-comp tires you will be OK with the BDM. Anything more and you will likely run into issues.

YMMV

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Whether or not the recent BDM rotor revision will handle the heat or not, only time will tell. The earlier TSW rotors could not tolerate a few track days at the hands of a "fast" driver on fairly sticky DOT tires.

[​IMG]

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I replaced my rotors with the revised ones--first track day on them is Monday, at Blackhawk, which is tough on brakes...

I did get a full season out of them last year, without ducts, which is the first set of brakes that I have held up that long. I did put in ducts this spring. I do plan to increase power next spring (I have an R53 JCW, tuned), we'll see if they hold up.

Keith, were those rotors off an R53, or R56? There was some question about the BDM not holding up as well on R56's; in fact I think it was btwdriver's thread.

4. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Another driver that has an R53 (Alan on here) has the new rotors and they have held up will for him. He was actually the person that got them to carry them. You will actually get some pad transfer to the rotor and real rotor wear, not just the cracks like Keith is showing. Small cracks would appear on the face of the rotors after the first session with the old rotors.

I don't know if it is that the brakes aren't as ventilated on the R56's so much as they have a ton more torque. This leads to a faster jump out of the corners and as such you will be carrying more speed into the brake zone leading to harder use.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if the ediff contributes as well...

6. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Well I just got back from a track day at Waterford Hills Road Racing and am convinced I need a BBK. After a handful of laps my brake fade was terrible. Around lap 10 the brakes felt worse than the braking system of my wife's Chevy Cobalt LT. The pedal feel was still very firm but the braking power was on its way out. I got a little too aggressive and went off the track into some tall weeds. The good news is the car is OK but I am not dealing with that fade again. Not so fun on the track!

7. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The carbotech pads will help with the pad fade. They are capable of withstanding much higher temps, the OEM pads are definitely not up to the task. Once you start running pads that can withstand the heat and not fade, you will start trading brake fade for boiling fluid. When this happens, your car will stop great right up to the point the fluid boils, then the pedal will go to the floor with zero resistance. A couple of pumps and it will pump back up, but expect it to be at the floor before you go into the next corner. This is clearly when you need a BBK, to absorb and offload a larger amount of heat.

What run group are you in currently?

Depending on what level you are running in I would not recommend a BBK, just some better pads. I am not saying this will be the end all be all solution. Just something that is reasonably priced and will serve as a good transition option while you work your way up the DE ladder. (I am assuming that if you are still running OEM pads that you are just getting started, if this is not the case I might change some of my recommendations.)

Also, if you have not already done so, put some real brake fluid in there. I would recommend Motul 600 as a good starting point. Compared to some of the really good stuff, it is reasonably priced.

8. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm just getting the braking system upgrades over and done with. I don't want to trade one problem for the other. I will admit it was rather cheap of me to want to use up my free OEM pads while under free MINI maintenance, but now I realize after getting more confident in the sharp bends this weekend that they are total s***. I was saving my money to buy coilovers for the low look/performance, but this weekend made me realize that if I want to keep pushing myself on the track that my brakes would hold me back.

I ended up seeing my pal Chad over at Detroit Tuned to hook me up with a 17" BBK, track pads, street pads, some Power Slot rear rotors to replace my worn out OEM rotors. Coilovers will have to wait till some other time. I already have ATE Super Blue brake fluid and SS brake lines in my car so that's taken care of. I'm looking forward to more track days:D

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    For rears, I bought the TSW rotors, they're cheap, and two years later, they're still in great shape.

I have the BDM, Way's ducts, and with the new rotors, I THINK it's going to work out. I've been using ATE fluids, but I think I may go to Motul--first three sessions, brakes were perfect; fourth session, the brake pedal was going down low enough to make downshifting a byatch. Brakes were still working, but there was a little fade.

But this is on a track that eats brakes and spits them out (Blackhawk), and they were going long sessions (30 minutes) on a very hot and humid day; this is probably the most I've ever stressed the brakes and overall they held in there.

10. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I had my eye on the TSW BDM but since they sold their business I had no option left. I'm very excited to get my hands dirty and install my BBK.

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Whatever DT hooked you up with should work great--who knows, I may have to end up going with a larger diameter rotor, but you'll have to pry my 15 inch wheels out of my cold, dead hands first....:D