2nd Gen JCW Most liked posts in thread: R56 Camber and Toe Adjustment?

1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about the R56 but on a R53 you can take some of the camber out but not all, the lower adjustable control arms are needed for that. If you do not plan to track it at all and aren't planning on pushing it real hard elsewhere, you might consider sticking pretty close to the factory settings on toe. I run 0 toe in the front with a tick of toe in, in the rear to help it track straight going down the highway. Zero toe or a tick of toe out in the front helps the car on turn in when pushed, be careful with toe out though because it can cause the tires to wear.

2 cents

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^ Very good advice.

I run a bit of toe in at the rear. I feel it helps high speed stability. On my R53 they were able to pull 1/2 degree of negative camber from the rear using stock parts. I'd like less back there, but that's all I can get.

The front of my car is just under 1/16 toe in. Like minimark said toe out can help on the track, but on the street you may not like it.

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #4 k-huevo, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    The stock rear lower control arms have enough adjustment range.

Toe will change with drop.

.05 degree more toe-in for the rear than front.

Optimal rear camber settings are based on use; -1.25 to -1.5 for a ball park, -1.1 for strictly urban-don't-spill-the-pot-of-beans driving. As a general rule once there is sufficient negative camber up front, .5 degree less camber in the rear than front.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Thanks all for the feedback. Just what I needed to know. So tomorrow I wrap this project up.