2nd Gen R56 Cooper S R56 Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) Failures

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Dwight, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    If you or someone you know has had a low mileage clutch failure and had the dealer claim driver abuse to not honor the warrant, you'd best check out this site 'cause it wasn't your fault. The DMF failed due to poor design. This has been known since Mar. '08! BMW claims to not know about it. Don't know if this address will load by clicking on it. If it won't, enter it manually in Google Search and click "Technical Services Bulletin - Valeo Service".

http://www.valeoservice.com/data/mas...78.pdf?rnd=102

The text is pretty grim, the pics are grimmer. :nonod:

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Let's see if this link will work http://www.valeoservice.com/data/master/webfile/19835431504AD33F8566078.pdf?rnd=102 .

The later model flywheel's secondary mass will rock on its axis a little when new/out-of-the-box, but when it goes bad, the face can wiggle freely while grasping a dowel pin. I would normally consider flywheel warping and hot spots a sign of abuse, but in this case (28k miles) I believe the flywheel the cause, because of its wasted elastomer.

[​IMG]

3. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I definitely agree. Nearly all the early clutch failures I've seen reported were at less than 30K miles, a couple at only 11K! In Europe the problem was showing up on service bulletins as early as the Spring of '07. Something besides burnt clutches smells here! :mad2:

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    How do we know if this applies to the clutch being used in the MINI?

Yes, it uses a dual mass flywheel, but does it say this applies to MINI clutches?

I agree that this sure sounds like it fits the symptoms some people with early clutch failure have had, and it explains why some fail and many others don't.

5. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That bulletin is about the DMF in the MINI and when it fails, it takes the clutch with it.

6. banj

banj New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this information. My clutch went at 18,000 miles in my '08 MCS. I (like many others) have driven manual transmissions in other cars for 75,000 plus miles without ever needing a clutch replacement. I've never abused the clutch in my MCS, and I was astounded when it started to slip after a year and a half of ownership.

Mini agreed to "Goodwill" the parts for complete clutch and flywheel replacement. But I payed out the labor to the tune of $1000.