2nd Gen R56 Cooper S R56 Head Restriction

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Thumper460, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Here is a shot of the INTAKE Throat just befor the valve seat on an r56 cylinder Head. As you can see almost 1/3 of the throat is BLOCKED by casting !!

[​IMG]

Just me..............................

Thumper

2. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #2 Thumper460, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    SOOooo.... when it is time for the mods to get started, just remember that the HEAD intake Throat (among other places) might be leaving some solid gains on the table.

Basic est of power gains.. 20 /25% more flow, and 10 - 18% more power with just a bolt on.

Thumper

3. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The stock head just looks like the casting does not match the production drawings. Really bad. If I had a Gen 2 I'd be pulling off the head this weekend.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Thumper......

First off I don't mean to high jack your thread.....

I have a R56, so I personally find this picture interesting, and something occurs to me after looking at the restrictions at the intake valves. 20 to 25% more flow is a huge improvement, congratulations with the porting on your end.

I assume this would be found on any head pulled from a R56? Any thought on weather the stock injectors can still manage to keep up with 20-25% increase in flow? In other words, was this stock flow / restrictive rate used to size the original injectors? Or is it a simple mater of making a ECU change so they don't run lean? I'm not sure I've seen any larger capacity injectors for the R56, like there are for the first generation?

Oh, I find the multi-orifice stock injector interesting, at what 6-7 holes?

One last question, how many miles were on this head and how bad was the carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves?

Once again, sorry for the high jack!

Chuck

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    No hi-jack.. more like Hi- Chuck!! LOL

It would seem to me that the more air flow would need to have the a/f changed. Will the stock inj work?? Dono !! I think "Mynes" is getting into the r56 tuning as we speak, and they should be the ones to have the proper answers.. yes??

Just me............................

Thumper

6. czar

czar New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well as that is a picture taken by me, of one of my brand new heads, just for reference, there are no miles on the head pictured!

And yes the factory stock injectors will quite easily cope with the current available tuning, are there oversized injectors out there ? yes there are.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Thanks guys.....

8. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yep... Czar took the picture.. all the used heads I have been doing reek, and HIS picture was rocking!! Thanks again , Czar!!

Just me..........................

Thumper

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    With a forced induction engine, the size of the valve ports is not as important as on a naturally aspirated engine. You might see some increase in power, but not much, if you opened up those bowls under the valves.

Dave

10. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #10 Thumper460, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    Actually Dave, that isnt correct. IF you allow more air in a n/a engine ( say 15%) there is a bennifit.. and the same bennifit if the engine is forced air.
    Just a thought.. from only ONE resource:

". So the trick is to get more air into the cylinders with as little heat rise as possible. The answer is simple. Reduce the restrictions to flow which then reduces the amount of boost the turbo needs to generate and also the amount of extra heat created. You get more power with less heat and kill two birds with one stone ...................In simple terms if a ported cylinder head gives 20% extra power on a N/A engine it will also give 20% extra power on a turbo'd engine. Maybe even more once the heat drop is taken into account. However, the bhp amount of the power gain will be much higher on the turbo engine because the base power is higher. If you take a 150 bhp N/A engine that extra 20% will add 30 bhp but if the engine is turbocharged to 15 psi boost and produces 300 bhp on the standard head then the 20% extra power from the ported head becomes 60 bhp.

Ported heads and especially big valve ported heads are therefore just as important on turbo charged engines as they are on N/A ones. "

Thumper

11. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say there would be no increase in power, just a little. A twenty percent increase in a naturally aspirated engine certainly doesn't translate to a twenty percent increase in a forced induction engine. The heat gain due to turbulence in the inch between the valve seat and the intake port is negligible. The two types of induction are entirely different animals.

Dave

12. Longboard

Longboard New Member

May 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #12 Longboard, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    Looks like the R56 is starting to get some love.

What kind of gains have you recorded during your testing for your new head? What will customers expect to see?

Regarding tuning, Alta, ABF and RMW can currently tune the R56 using Dimsport or AccessPort software. ABF used to use Mynes but they now use AccessPort.

Longboard