2nd Gen JCW Most liked posts in thread: R56 JCW - Build Thread - New Set Of Pipes

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Been busy at work, but found a little time this past Saturday and knocked out my "Y" transition. This will be where the main trunk branches off into the two rear muffler / tips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's moving slowly....

Sent from Arrakis, while harvesting spice, using Tapatalk when no one was looking.

2. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hah....
    I was down at the shop yesterday, met Allen (rigidjunkie), and helped him with his bicycle issue. Another buddy that owns a powder coating operation also stopped by for a little R&R and metalworking.

Afterwards, I spent some time working on the exhaust. Cut the two 4" canisters that will make up the rear muffler. I have a couple of 90 degree mandrel bent elbows that will be merged into a "Y" that will feed into the two 4" muffler bodies.

Unfortunately I've been slammed with work going through the shop, so my progress on the exhaust has suffered. I might sneak off today and try and get some more work done.

Chuck

3. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well.... It's been a while since I've had time to work on my exhaust.

Found a little time today. This will become the rear muffler section. The "Y" transition will lead into two mufflers that will contain baffles and have a side benefit of being easily re-buildable without the need to remove the muffler from the MINI.

Here are some pic's.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305751235.359136.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305751279.990456.jpg

4. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Already thought about that angle. I probably wont go any farther than just thinking about that idea. A ruptured hydraulic line would probably let the MINI down faster than I could react. MOM's would then start calling me "Shorty".....:D

5. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Is this thing done yet? Come on man....
    ;)

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Whats this I hear..a lift for the shop :D

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You are going to need a lot of crickets to lift your MINI. :p

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I counsel against V-band clamps, R&R is easier with two hole flanges. I would take an extra step and replace the factory flange on the downpipe with a two hole; the OE gasket doesn't seal, and the clamp is a hassle to work with.

I don't think JCW tips are unattractive, it's the standard bumper cover that lacks flair.

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I thought you said business was jumping at your shop and you were up to your ears in work. :frown2: :cornut:

Jim

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #4 Metalman, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks Keith, Good suggestions....

I'll go with you're suggestion on changing the V-band clamps to two hole flanges.

For now, I'm going to stick with factory flange (warranty reasons). I plan to machine a tapered flange to mirror the downpipe flare dimensions. At a later date I can always change it out with something that works better. I may even come up with a split flange with two holes that would eliminate the OEM clamp, yet still preserve the OEM downpipe.

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It is jumping.

This gets done on my time after the shop closes for the evening and on the weekends.:D

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #6 Metalman, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    Here's a quick auto cad drawing of the rear view through the twin mufflers. I'll do a quick and dirty cut-out and hold it over the factory tips. I'll snap a pic tonight so you guys can give your impression of 4" outlets. I could also do 3-1/2" outlets but I'm trying the keep the muffler chambers as large as I can to be able to let the sound (gasses expand) in the rear baffles.

[​IMG]

13. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Im sure its going to look amazing. 4" is biiiiig, but It all depends on the fit and finish too.

On the Stratmosphere i had, the tips were only 3.5 i think, and they looked HUUUGE, but they also stuck out some.

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Wish I had the tools, shop and skills you do MM. Why do you want to keep the OEM flange if you are changing the set up? Won't that effect eh warranty regardless. Just asking.

Jim

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Easy on easy off.... backward compatible.....

Stock OEM JCW would get stored here in the shop with only 6-7K miles on it. Someday I may sell the MINI, the original exhaust would go back on.:D

Chuck

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sooo..... Adam
    Keep them about the same amount of protrusion from the bumper as the stock. Angle cut tips or square cut? This is where I need input from anyone with a bit of styling sense. You will be able to see up inside the tips since the beginning of the baffle will be about a 1/2" back or so.

Thanks

Chuck

17. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    haha, I was about to ask if you would send me the original one. :(

I have to disagree with k-huevo though, I like the v-flanges and I always ended up with having leaks from the 2 hole flanges.
    One of the things i hated about installing my alta was the flat faced resonator when they could have built it with a tapered entry and exit. Not really sure if it causes any un-needed drag but it always seemed to irritate me for a go fast product.

18. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    And Square cut looks nicer to me.

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    MM,

Let's take a step back

What is your intent? To say you can make your own CatBack? (would be very cool and I would be most envious as I paid some serious bucks for my Borlal)

Reason I ask is that a Catback with the existing downpipe is not going to really gain you any power (if thats what you want to do, back to intent question). Depending on your design you can make it the sound real bad adz (once again very cool if thats what you want to do) but it's gonna be a very cool sounding noise maker

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Excellent question Tim....

I'll try and answer it this way.

Every time I'm under the MINI, it strikes me how simple the factory exhaust looks. I'm sure the MINI acoustical engineers put a lot into their tuning of the stock JCW exhaust to get that special sound.

I'm really looking at this build as more of developing a tunable exhaust with a little less backpressure. Using the factory downpipe. Then at some point down the road upgrade to more of a performance aftermarket downpipe. All the while being able to adjust the baffles to control the sound. I'm still sort of following some of the aftermarket downpipes, but if I recall correctly, I think they all still throw CEL's. So I'm hoping those issues get resolved. I'm not interested in going catless at all.
    I realize the exhaust flow is controlled by the narrowest portion of the exhaust. For now I'll assume that's up in the factory downpipe.

Chuck