2nd Gen JCW R56 JCW has a different turbo than the MCS?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by alwzopn, Oct 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hey GreyLens......
    With your massive bump in engine power, it's also important to make sure your brakes can do what's expected of them. Any plans for a comparable performance increase in braking?:D

2. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I bought a brand new left shoe...very high grip. :ihih:

3. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I do not possess the skills or the tires to claim domination. I don't have to dominate though......just as long as I am faster than you. :Thumbsup:

4. R60mini

R60mini New Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's SICK!!! and that can only be achieved with a JCW? I hope the JCW Countryman doesn't take too long to be produced! How much would a tune like that cost?

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I thought the JCW dealer installed kit had been discontinued. If it has one could buy the JCW intake & exhaust & get a Jan tune. Seems to me that would be the easiest thing to do to get an R56 up & running well. At least without springing for the factory JCW.

MM brakes will only slow you down. :p

6. Bigprfed22

Bigprfed22 New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #26 Bigprfed22, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    I have a tune FMIC and exhaust, I plan on upgrading to the jcw turbo. Unlike popular belief, the only difference **engine wise** between the fact. jcw and the mcs is the pistons produce a lower compression ratio. They are both forged pistons, both heads and blocks are the same etc., obviously there are different peripherals but other than that they are the same. A few folks have upgraded and been able to get better numbers but with higher stress levels with the MCS due to the 1 point or half a point higher compressions ratio. I will see if i plan to go through with it because depending on the difference in flow, i wonder if i can get the same power with less boost:D

7. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Mechanical Engineer, retired
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    From the Press Release:

• Upgraded/Optimized Turbo Pistons and four piston brakes (adapted from the MINI Challenge race car.
    • Upgraded Air Intake (same as dealer installed kit)
    • Revised 6 speed Manual Transmission
    • Upgraded Clutch

It would be fairly easy to prove/disprove BMW's claims. Do you honestly believe that BMW would intentionally mislead in this litigious society in which we live and risk a massive loss of reputation? Trust me. Nobody would want to take a hit like that.

8. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Would anyone happen to know the difference between the JCW upgrade ( mini website cost is $2100 or so, and that seems to be w/o labor) and this upgrade:

JCW John Cooper Works Tuning Kit for 2011+ - Way Motor Works

why the significant price difference? Parts seem to be the same, but I could be wrong...

thanks!

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Hi borv,

They are the same kit. $2100 is the MSRP, and Way's price is discounted. Note the orange tag at the upper right ("SAVE 14%") which computes to exactly the correct amount.

10. Grim

Grim New Member

May 16, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The press release is correct, but so is Bigprfed22's statement. Bigprfed22 simply only stated the differences in the 2 engines as that's what is pertinent to the topic at hand. The press release gives some details about the whole car.

11. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks RKW,

MINI Motoring Accessories and Motoringgear

Does the kit come with any exhaust modification? This kit seems a bit different than the one on the mini JCW part of the website for official MINI accessories.

Seems like (on Way's website) the official Mini kit but with headers and a k&n filter? Or does the official mini kit also come with headers?

12. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I'm CEO/Owner of GGS (Gryphon Global Services) a i
    Beautiful Tampa Bay Florida
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I could not agree more ! There seems to be some misinformation from parts shop and various articles (I had commented to a quoted article that more or less was making this erroneous point in detail on another thread) that just through bolt on aftermarket parts you can make the "S" engine into a JCW. That is completely and totally false ! Can you bring a just newly bought "S" to match a newly purchased JCW in strait whp ? Sure, no prob and that's great ! But to think it's the same as a internally worked and built, factory JCW is just fooling yourself. I was going to get an "S" and aftermarket the hell out of it .. After doing the real math both in money and in power gains I came to the conclusion IMHO this was totally the wrong way to go for the $ ! People might balk at the initial price of the JCW and look at the WHP output and say well I can mod a "S" for a little more then half the upgrade price and achieve the same WHP. But when you consider the truly massive Moding and tuning potential of a factory JCW there is no comparison none frankly. And after I added everything up I realized that the engine internal upgrades that are the JCW are really an absolute total bargain ! I am shocked there are MINI owners that think otherwise. Think about it. A larger more efficient turbo, larger reinforced pistons, larger better built manifold, Brembo front brake package, reworked ecu, far better suspension package...ETC ! For only 6k to 7.5k (USD) more on a thirty thousand dollar car !? I dare anyone to match that in the aftermarket. It can not be done ! And that in the end made all the sense in the world to me to wait the extra 3 months and get a JCW. I just knew I would be kicking myself if I hadn't.

13. Bigprfed22

Bigprfed22 New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Engine internals... :nonod:

Engine internals are the same except a half of a point lower compression.

14. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    You are incorrect. Somewhere on here are the engine specs and if I remember correctly the pistons are different ......someone help me out here!

15. Bigprfed22

Bigprfed22 New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Which is where the half a point of compression comes from:crazy: same material same head gasket and internals...:beer

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    According to RealOEM the pistons have different part numbers. What the difference is, beats me.

Rods, bearings and crank are the same.

Heads have different part numbers, gaskets do not. There are no listing for parts such as valves and cams so that is hard to tell if they are different. Then again, different valves and/or cams may be the reason for the different part numbers for the head.

Turbo and exhaust manifold have different part numbers

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    According to Bentley

JCW Summary of changes are as follows.....

Only components that were needed to achieve higher performance and a more sporty sound were modified.....

Cylinder head gasket revised in terms of heat distribution, resulting in improved coolant flow.

Cylinder head wall thickness changed in some places in relation to water jacket to remove local peaks caused by increased performance.

Improved intake valve seat material and extra-hardened intake-valves.

Strengthened piston side faces, and adapted to reduce compression ratio of 10.0.

Charge air pipe improved to reduce pressure drop.

Intake air filter with integrated mass air flow sensor.

Turbocharger adapted to changed conditions.

Turbocharger and exhaust manifold materials adapted to higher exhaust gas temperature (about 30 degree C higher).

Catalytic converter two-stage design.

Red Brembo front brake calipers with 17" wheels and 12.4" brake rotors.

Appearance and acoustics, plus specific sound impedance of exhaust system were improved to create a special sound.

18. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I'm CEO/Owner of GGS (Gryphon Global Services) a i
    Beautiful Tampa Bay Florida
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    "The Specs
    Under the hood, you'll find what is essentially the same 1.6-liter engine that powers the Cooper S—this time with a revised cylinder head, a bigger turbocharger and slightly different intake plumbing. According to Mini, the exhaust valves have a slightly thinner back cut than those of the Cooper S. Subtle though the changes may seem, they're enough to get the car to 60 mph in a claimed 6.2 seconds (6.5 for the four-door Clubman), and to a top speed of 148 mph.

An enlarged catalytic converter and downpipe help evacuate exhaust gases into an aggressive-looking cat-back exhaust. The revised system nets 211 hp at over 6000 rpm, with 198 ft.-lb. of torque available from 1850 to 5600 rpm—not too bad from a mere 1.6 liters. Gas mileage suffers a little bit, but the JCW still offers econobox thrift, at 25 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. That's just 1 mpg less than the 175 hp Cooper S.

The JCW gets all that increased power to the ground by way of a beefier clutch, a slightly modified transmission and BMW's Electronic Differential Lock Control (EDLC). This device slows the spinning wheel(s) through the brakes, like a more refined version of traction control, and sends more power to the wheel with traction. It's a lot like a limited-slip differential, but without the torque-steer."

- Popular Mechanics

Revised Cylinder heads
    Larger Turbo
    Beefier Clutch
    Modified Transmission, Including (EDLC)

Now this might just be a deference in semantics... but I define these as internals. LOL But it's all good.. :wink: