2nd Gen JCW R56 JCW - My Bottom Is Gonna Be As Smooth As A Baby's Butt

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Metalman, Sep 15, 2010.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    MM

After taking it on a road trip, any feedback on performance of your new baby's butt?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Ahhhhhh....... EXCUSE ME????

It's not really something that jumps out as anything noticeably different. It may also be the fact that I also just installed the JCW front Aero bumper and this was the first long trip since those changes. Both of these changes wouldn't be noticed on the twisties of the Dragon IMHO. The MINI did seem more planted on freeway speeds though. I noticed a couple of extra MPG from what I was getting. I am happy that I added the under-panels. They were relatively low cost, mounted to the factory attachments with ease and the underside of the MINI is much more aerodynamically sound. I'm currently eying the big "Catcher's Mitt" cavity between the rear suspension and rear bumper. Seems like this area is a good candidate for some improvements. It looks like a lot of air is getting trapped there. :D

3. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You're right about the cavity around the rear suspension. What you need is our diffuser to finish the bottom and rear off :idea:.
    Let me know if we can help :Thumbsup:

Mark

4. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Be careful on the shipping costs. I ordered the panels from Pelicanparts and the shipping was listed as very low but then I was informed that the online shipping was just an estimate and the panels required extra shipping costs due to the large size. Shipping was almost $100 within the same state.

5. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Are these parts not available from the dealer, or is it just cheaper to order from the aftermarket (not counting shipping)?

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yes, these are MINI OEM parts. The dealer will be happy to supply them with their markup. I got mine from "Outmotoring" (one of our sponsors), Aaron is a great guy. Fortunately I live in the same general area as Outmotoring.

Very true on the freight costs. They are big flat cardboard boxes that don't fit the shipping weight calculation.

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That is just what the doctor ordered Chuck. It makes the rear end cool as well as smooth. Of course, there might be an extra "OMG" on the next trip. :D

Jim

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    My dealer quoted me 90 minutes for the under panel installation. Is that about right? I don't have the time nor means to do it myself. If the time estimate is about right I'd rather have the dealer do it than my local garage. What do those of you who've had it installed think? How long did it take?

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well.....
    After doing mine without a lift, and the fact that you only need to remove those two small plastic covers by the rear jack points, I'd say that their quoted time is more than enough.
    With a lift, and not needing to scoot around on my back, I know I could do the job again in 30 - 45 minutes once it's up in the air. So maybe an hour tops. I did use air tools to speed up my "wrenching" time. But like any install, the first one takes a little longer. And hey, I did it without any instructions, so it can't be too difficult. Just don't over torque the plastic nuts. I would run them in close and do the final with a nut driver, so I could feel the point when they were snug.

10. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think I have found my next mod!! This summer I may be able to do some real world fuel economy testing. :) so do we need the brackets (51752753165 and 51752753166) or not if we have the secret storage box?

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #91 Metalman, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    Yes......
    You need 1 RH and 1 LH bracket. These support the under-panels at the rearmost location. Without them, your under-panels will be "flapping in the breeze".

Very easy install...... With OEM parts, everything fits without a hassle.:D

A lift makes the install go so much faster. With jacks..... not so much.

Since you are in Germany......
    You should try and get a hold of some of the factory "Challenge" parts (rear splitter, rear wing), oh and while you're at it..... did I mention.... a Challenge rear wing.:D

12. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    hehe, There is a actual challenge car in the local dealer. ;) maybe score some parts when they aren't looking!

Not really a fan of the challenge spoiler though. I am pretty partial to my Jsart tip. :yesnod:

I was also thinking about the engine under cover that mini mania advertised some time ago.

13. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Also , I don't think the rear splitter will fit without the Aero bumper (birthing hips look)

14. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wait.

Didn't the Mythbusters prove that laminar airflow increases drag, with the golf-ball-dimpled car? Or am I missing the point here, and there's some other benefit to smoothing out the underside of the car?

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Covers up the pockets, cross braces, cavities etc. The panels smooth the undercarriage that otherwise might be compared to the way the flaps increase resistance when air brakes open up on a jet.:D

16. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I've had a set of these on order from my dealer for over a month. They have 1 panel but now MINI Canada is saying the other's not available :frown5:

17. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    If you increase the velocity of the airflow under the car, the pressure decreases relative to airflow over the car. It acts like a wing and generates downforce, because the higher pressure pushes down on the lower pressure. This downforce effect increases by a factor of velocity squared, and you don't really feel much of an effect until you hit highway speeds. A wing will also increase downforce, because it's shaped like an upside down airplane wing, but a wing also adds drag.

18. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Do I get the feeling you are trying to tell us there is one of those wings in Fungo's future?

Jim

19. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Let me get mine in a week or 2 and I will find out the price and see if it is worth it to you for me to send you the one you need (via US postal):Thumbsup:

20. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    By the way, the advantage of living in Germany is Mini/BMW parts are a 1 day turn around even for special order parts. :woot: