2nd Gen R56 N12B16A overheating

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by LA AHMED, Jan 12, 2020.

1. LA AHMED

LA AHMED New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, I am new to this site and I hope that someone can help me. I have recently bought a R56 cooper 2009 non turbo model which was mixing oil and water discovered head was cracked replaced head, new gasket, new thermostat, flushed cooling system. the problem is that after bleeding as per mini states I still cannot get the fan to kick in, test relays working, tested thermostat working, tested fan working, checked all fuses okay. temperature reached 114*c water started to boil out. kindly help

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!
    Did you use a 50/50 mix go antifreeze? Did you fill it till antifreeze came out of the bleed screw? I have had to leave my bleed screw out and run the motor and would add antifreeze till it came out of the bleed screw, the motor was close to operating temp before this happened. It sounds like you still have air in it somewhere. It can be hard to get air out of the system.
    I have never tried this on a Mini but maybe it would work. When I worked on Fiats long ago we would jack up the front of the spiders to get air out of the system. This would cause the air to come to the front of the motor. The radiator was higher than the top of the motors.

Mini pulls a vacuum to get the air out of the system. Maybe jacking up the front of the Mini would help.

3. LA AHMED

LA AHMED New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

4. LA AHMED

LA AHMED New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the reply, i did not fill the 50/50 antifreeze hoped to get the the system working with no leaks before topping up with antifreeze as it is quite expensive, will try the leaving bleed screw open and will also add the 50/50 antifreeze and let you

5. Jeff10049

Jeff10049 Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Make sure the heater is on high as well when trying to bleed. Sometimes blipping the rpm repeatedly to about 3,000 seems to help get the coolant moving through the heater core once you are getting heat inside the car you're on the home stretch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. InstrumentOfPeace

InstrumentOfPeace Active Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    When you state “tested the fan” did you have a MVM attached to the fans (or ECU) wiring to see if there’s a signal being sent?

7. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to use BMW coolant, you can get 50/50 Euro coolant from Autozone for about $20 a jug.

8. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Also, your thermostat could also be bad. If it's overheated I'd bet it was due to the thermostat and/or the coolant pump, Or neglect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Jeff10049

Jeff10049 Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Also check that the water pump is turning the friction wheel or pully could be bad.
    Maybe thats what caused the head problem to start with.

10. LA AHMED

LA AHMED New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the late reply, as I only work on the car in the weekends,a very big thank you to all that have replied. anyways, i eventually managed to sort the problem out. the thermostat i was supplied from my local store was incorrect even though they used my vin number to obtain the part. the difference between the two are one has a green coloured sensor plug and the other is Brown(the correct one).I do not know if I can mention the name of this store on this site. The cooling system is working fine, but have another problem, from inside the sump i am hearing a loud whinining noise i increases with the RPM, any suggestions what this could be, Thanks

11. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Thanks for the update on your original problem.

12. InstrumentOfPeace

InstrumentOfPeace Active Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I’d appreciate it so I know that in the event I end up there, I tell them the part number I want & not the one they lookup. Plus, maybe someone here works there & can get that corrected.

For a short while I was Director of IT for a large tire oil change company. Typically, if not always, workers go by the manuals which are either digital or manually typed in by off-shore or there was a mistake in IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk