oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    At Admin's request, here's my $0.02 worth ---

Chances are, your yellow DV is an aftermarket replacement and the piece of rubber you found is from the original. The remaining rubber may have remained attached or disappeared into the system, but surely not beyond the FMIC.

Double check your MAP sensor part numbers --- MCS sensors are different than JCW sensors, electrically, not physically. Wrong ones will physically fit. Check for correct part numbers here --- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

With a new valve cover, chances are your PCV system is OK. However, you need to ensure the rear hose to manifold is in good condition and connected properly at both ends. Crankcase should be at a slight vacuum at all times, EXCEPT during boost when it gets slightly positive. I can't provide numbers, sorry.

Low coolant temp is usually a t'stat problem. Consider that during replacement you reversed the two hoses from the radiator. I don't know if that would cause your problem, but hose routing can be compared to the pics in RealOEM. Low temp can also be manually set by a tuner --- has the car been tuned by a previous owner? Typical temps are 210 - 225 deg F --- mine has been set to 180.

Oil in the FMIC input is usually from a bad PCV which you've already replaced, and the oil is just "left-over residue". It can also come from the turbo --- excess crankcase pressure will cause the oil return from turbo to crankcase to "back up" and flow thru the turbo seal into the air inlet chamber, ending up in the FMIC. If you have oil residue in the turbo air inlet, and not in the driver side PCV hose, that's probably the source of your oily FMIC. Check the turbo shaft for side-to-side and end play too --- should be zero, only rotation is allowed. Any side-to-side play indicates bad bearings and shot oil seal.

Bentley is a good repair manual, and handy to take with you under the car. A better source is --- https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ --- step by step instructions with pics and torque specs. For this and RealOEM, you need the last seven characters of your VIN, or you can make the "bingo / link" selections.

Can't offer much more --- haven't had to deal with most of your issues, but I'll follow your thread 'til you get it resolved.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    New information. After 15 minute idle warm up temp pre cat was 350F and post cat was 300F. So the catalytic converter is shot. Now to find out why!
    Also got my NT520 Pro scan tool today so more information to come once I figure out how to use it.

3. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    For the love of pete. The MAP sensor I have installed is for N14B16C and I need for the N14B16A. So this is probably the error. Thank you @oldbrokenwind for this. Will see in a few days when I get the new one if this is the cause of my issues.
    So several tear downs and thousands of dollars later we will see if a $50 part is the cause of my issues. At least I will have a half new engine that can support a JCW turbo from DT, so not all is lost.

4. carlchurchill

carlchurchill New Member

Feb 21, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes I did put it back, just had to remove air box and the hose going to the noise maker thingy!

Attached Files:

5. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    #51 usafpj13, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Nothing new on my end so far as I'm down and out from surgery, but I called my mechanic to troubleshoot with him and got quite a few answers differing from my belief.
    First, he said that the temperature post catalytic converter should be lower than the input, which disagrees with everything I have seen online.
    Second is that a timing chain issue would only cause misfires and not low mileage.
    Then he said that the pre-cat O2 bouncing around 0.0v at idle is correct but the post-cat sensor should stay steady around 0.5v and not 0.8v like I have(Post cat drops to zero for a few seconds when I take my foot of the gas-Not sure if this is normal or not). His thought was I am not getting the car warm enough to get accurate O2 readings(Could be possible as most my trips are less than 30 minutes in city traffic and it is bloody cold in Chicago).
    Finally we agreed that a P129E code is most likely a vacuum leak so my little Mini with go in for a smoke test on monday.
    I received an N14 timing kit today so when I'm up to it I am going to check the tensioner as I'm still hung up on the timing chain(My car missed the Mini timing chain replacement lawsuit by a month so not sure if the chain has ever been replaced).

6. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I ran Mobile 1 0w-40 in my R56.

7. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Indeed I do have a Bentley manual.
    Thinking I will check the wastegate by using a borescope through the lambda port. No way i'm taking off the catalytic converter. Just need to order or rent the pressure pump.
    I've still got the P129E code but maybe I was too quick to judge the timing chain not accomplishing anything. Just filled up and got 1.5mpg better on the way back from Detroit even though there was more traffic. Also have driven 5 city miles and the computer thinks I am getting 25mpg while before it was 18mpg. Still too soon to tell but a week driving in the city and I will get confirmation.

8. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    So driving around was great. No codes and everything smooth like butter. Still cannot believe that piece of rubber was bothering my poor Mini for a year(or more). But what has me worried now is that this 1 inch piece of rubber has a curve to it, like it was a gasket with a 3 or 4 inch diameter. So where is the rest of it? Does anyone know the airflow through the diverter valve? Where should I be looking for pieces?
    @Dave.0 True that the factory uses locktite but it always looks clean and professional and in my little bit of experience only covers a few threads. These threads were covered in locktite dust from top to bottom, like somebody slathered it on. Plus the valve itself was clean and bright yellow. Not at all how I imagine a part after 80,000 miles.

@MCS02 I forgot to check the coolant temperature on my drive today. Guess I was too excited. Would be strange if the diverter valve also caused low coolant temperature but why not? All this has been weird to me. Tomorrow will be the coolant temperature check.

9. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Happy to help, but don't get your hopes up --- sounds to me like you have multiple problems. Oil in the wrong places shouldn't be caused by the wrong MAP sensor, hopefully, that's an old problem that's already been fixed. Then there's the burning smell and possibly more rubber stuff in the system.

Another thought --- someday, if you decide to build for performance, maybe keep this extra MAP sensor and work with your tuner to use it. Might be good for a few added HP --- WITH a good tune.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    First MOVE SOUTH!! Welcome to MA. Is there any Mods done to the car? As usual check all your connections, maybe you have a loose connection. On the lean condition. Make sure the PVC pipe that is on the passenger side that goes to the intake is attached well. I had my R58 blow that line off and cause an unsteady idea and some codes but the car ran fine. If that line has ben plugged by you or someone els to cut down on carbon unplug it it needs to be open. These engines benefit from an oil catch can.
    I know that's not much help but I am running late. If I think of more I will post later today.

How about some pictures. Of the Mini that is! :D

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yes late on a Saturday! I asked for weekends off this month....so....I am working every weekend.

@usafpj13 take a look at this thread

https://www.motoringalliance.com/threads/pvc-n14.30857/

There is some good information posted by some of out Gen2 guys. For the record I am still learning the Gen2 Minis. My wife has a convertible R57 with the N18 engine and I have an R58 JCW with a N14 motor. But I have owned my Gen1 R53 for 14 years so I am still mostly a Gen1 guy.

I am wondering if that part you left out is the check valve that should close under boost. The thread I linked to explains the PVC system fairly well.

12. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    @MCS02 Thanks for the link. I have read for hours and hours about the PCV and catch cans and still the same 50/50 result of blocking off the PCV is fine against blocking the PCV causes too much pressure in the crankcase. This is why I am doing my own test when my new manometer arrives next week.
    I don't believe that plastic piece is a check valve. I tried finding it on parts websites but no luck. It is a 90 degree elbow in the intake manifold near the throttle body right where the PCV tube enters. It ends up pointing straight up in the intake manifold against the flow of air. So I'm thinking it has to be there to use the flow by air to create a vacuum and suck the air from the crankcase. Since I don't have it in there now maybe too much air from the crankcase is getting sucked straight into the air intake. Maybe I will take a picture of it and upload it here.
    Edit: Actually I will just cap the PCV to see if that fixes anything since it will take this little white plastic piece out of the equation.

13. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I swapped the MAP sensor out with the old and the P129E code cleared so it looks like the new one was defective. I will see when I get a replacement what happens.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Since you are not the original owner someone may have put black electric tape on the back of the gauge faces so the lights do not show.

Just a thought as to why you don’t see trouble lights on the tach and speedo.

15. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I think you mean on the throttle body. At least that is where I found a white clip on my R56S that seemed to do nothing. I looked and looked at it but found absolutely no purpose or point to it being there. It wasn't connected to anything. If your car is running the same without it you can probbly just store it somewhere and reinstall it next time you have access.

16. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    #43 DneprDave, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Put your finger between his back legs and tell him to cough.

Take the heat shield off of the turbo and Catalytic converter and check the temperature with an Infrared thermometer, before the catalytic converter and after. Harbor Freight makes a laser pointer I.R. thermometer, that you can accurately spot the temperature source with.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I believe my reader can give my them. I will try tomorrow.

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Oh no! The oil wars! :D

I run 5W-30 Mobil 1 but I live in the south.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    No idea how to read boost. I have the super NT520 scan tool but haven't learned how to use it yet. Only the live data. Driving around today engine coolant still around 160F. I got the following from live data MAP and MAF.

MAP 4.5psi at idle and up to 18psi with the beans

MAF 0.01lb/sec at idle and up to .16lb/sec with the beans

Purchased a vacuum pump today so will test the wastegate tomorrow.

20. usafpj13

usafpj13 Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Pictures of the rubber piece I found in my diverter valve housing.
    Any thoughts on where I should search for more pieces or if I should be worried about it?
    Coolant temperature was 170F driving around today. IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2384.JPG