2nd Gen R56 Cooper S R56 S OCC Service?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Dwight, Dec 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    In the process of installing a 42 Draft Design OCC on my MCS. The can doesn't have a sight tube, but is triple baffled. Need to know about how often it should be drained. Anyone got any experience with this for any kind of OCC on a turbo MCS? Thanks, DW :confused5:

2. pedroa

pedroa New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice looking design on the 42. Could you let us know where you put it?

3. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Mine's going in (eventually) between the coolant over-flow tank and the washer fluid tank. Have to fabricate a bracket to get proper hood clearance. No OEM intake tube, so there's plenty of room (see sig.) I'll post a pic when finished. :D

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I like the Stealth in black...

but really, a lot goes into the mix for this stuff. If you want to get real fancy, mount up a drain tap (like for radiators or whatever), so you can just drain at will. Also, I'd put a ss scrubbie thinggie (to use the technical term). The more surface area you have, the more the vapors will condense on them and the better it will work.

Driving style and the like will affect fill rates, so there's no real good answer to your original question.

Matt

5. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Return of the OCC System

Hey Nathan, here's a re-post of the one that started that OCC Sturm und Drang. Pics of the 42 Draft Design "Stealth" OCC combined with BSH's dual port blocked boost tap that moves all pcv crud through the baffled canister before entering the turbo. Got back yesterday from my 1711mi. "test" thru the High Mojave Desert and it seems to be working as planned. A little over an inch of phlegm in the can and IATs dropped steadily till on the flats they were only 2-3deg. over ambient and never more than 6 even on the long desert grades with the turbo really wound up. IMO, the IC must have flushed pretty clear of dinosaur snot and very little more is being laid down. The IATs stayed constant for the last 1000mi. of the trip.

I also discovered that when you lower your MINI for improved handling, you've lowered the front air dam as well. The effect on high speed (+70) stability was dramatic. Even in pretty fierce winds from all directions, the car was rock solid with not even a steering wheel twitch. Everybody else was all over the place fighting the winds. However, passing a RV/18 wheeler in those conditions does tend to concentrate the mind, LOL.

One final comment: The High Desert was unbelievable. Haven't seen it that green in decades. Ireland with cactus and it's just getting started!! Get out there and see for yourself. :cornut:

Attached Files:

6. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Just had a weird thought about DFI related carbon build-up on intake valves. How do the diesel engine guys get around the problem? Are their combustion temps hot enough to burn off the carbon or something? :confused:

7. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    OCC System Update

Just an update on my OCC system. With 7K on it since install, the can had ~3tbs of crankcase phlegm in it. The inlet tube was dirty and slimy, the outlet tube clean and dry. Decided to check the turbo boost tube and it was clean and dry, too. IMHO, it WORKS! BSH now offers a complete system that's a lot cleaner looking than what I put together. The key factors being the baffled can, the blocked boost tap adapter and large diameter tubing. BTW, unless you live in colder climates, I wouldn't worry too much about water in the can. It'll evaporate on a long run from engine bay heat (or the SoCal sun). :D

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,923 / 1 / -0
    Dwight;
    Thanks for posting the update. I still haven't installed mine. I did buy the BSH boost tap to run my boost gauge.

So, if I understand your description, I should add the plug to the boost tap to stop the flow directly to the intake manifold. And install the OCC between the second outlet in the valve cover and the turbo boost tube. Then 100% of PCV through the OCC just prior to the turbo? I think..... yes?

9. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

:Thumbsup: That's pretty much it. Just make sure the OCC is installed before you block off the boost tap! Otherwise you'll REALLY oil down the entire intake run and create some very high crankcase pressures to boot. Good Luck - DW

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,923 / 1 / -0
    Thanks!:Thumbsup:

I shouldn't harm anything if I run the boost tap un-blocked but connected to my boost gauge. Then, when I get around to it, I'll install the OCC and add the blocking fitting.

Good point on the second part of your post. I didn't thing out that far.:crazy:

Thanks again!