Interior 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: R57 Wind Deflector

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The differences are cosmetic for the most part. Might want to check pricing form some of the site sponsors here on Motoring Alliance as well. Most can offer OEM parts at better prices than local dealers.

2. GreyWOF

GreyWOF New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Avocational Archaeologist
    Wichita, Kansas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used the zippered panels on the OEM wind deflector (see my discussion above) for the first time last night. I had a stack of loose papers that I needed to transport with the top down and the papers were not going to fit in the glove compartment. So my first thought was to sit on them to keep them from blowing out... bad idea for several reasons. Then I realized those zippered panels in the OEM unit are perfect for loose stuff when the top is down and you don't need to access them while traveling. I know that is a stretch, but I did find them useful. That made it worth it (2x the price and I can carry loose papers hmmmmm.).

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Will it fit a sandwich? Or you could drive with a top down during winter and keep your beverages in there so they will stay cold.

4. GreyWOF

GreyWOF New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Avocational Archaeologist
    Wichita, Kansas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The sandwich idea would work. I don't know if the pouches would support a six pack or not. Probably not a good idea since it is visible from outside the car (causing temptation) and would weigh around 4.5 pounds... but then there is no weight limit warning on the pouches like my Electraglide's tour pack. I can see the warning now in my imagination... "weight limit one gold bullion bar per pouch"...

5. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know how the second generation wind deflector fits in a first gen car?

6. Amanda2010

Amanda2010 New Member

May 12, 2013
    New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Just got a 2010 S convertible and based on research, definitely want to get a wind deflector. New MINI deflectors, appear to be available on eBay for significantly less than dealer - anyone have any negative experience? Also, any appreciable difference between the black (Mini Cooper 03 12 Convertible Black Wind Deflector New | eBay) and the chrome (Mini Cooper 07 13 Convertible Chrome Wind Deflector New | eBay), other than cosmetic? Chrome generally appears to be more expensive, but OP seems to suggest that plain black one might actually be preferable?

Many thanks

7. Amanda2010

Amanda2010 New Member

May 12, 2013
    New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great. Thanks so much, really appreciate the quick response! I will check.

8. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Those things definitely just look like one of those "might as well add something here" sort of things. Would be cool if there was a way to securely mount 2 track-day helmets there lol