R60 Help trying to get valve cover back on

Discussion in 'Tip's, Tricks and How To Articles' started by AlanM, Jan 29, 2023.

1. AlanM

AlanM New Member

Jan 29, 2023
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My ‘15 Countryman (R60) cooper S (N18) needed a new PCV so I got a replacement cover. Everything came off fine but the new valve cover won’t go back on. There’s a fuel line on the back right that gets in the way of lining it up correct to align with the engine. I tried undoing this line but it doesn’t move much. Any pointers on how to get space to get the valve cover back on?

Also do the metal coil sleeves need to be put in the valve cover before assembly or can that be done after the cover is on?

Any help really appreciated!

Alan.

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance !! I wish I could be of help but I have zero experience with the N18.

3. AlanM

AlanM New Member

Jan 29, 2023
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

Alas the forum article on the R60's valve cover doesn't have the same fuel line positioning as my car. Perhaps a countryman difference?

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Could you post a picture

5. AlanM

AlanM New Member

Jan 29, 2023
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, it wasn't easy to capture in a picture because it wasn't fitting under the cover. I found the problem in the end, so I'll summarize here in case others see it.

Essentially the new valve cover was 1-2mm too long between the right side of the cover (hoist O hook end) and the pickup on the underside of the cover. This meant the cover couldn't sit down because the pickup (to the PCV valve?) was just touching the camshaft lobes. I noticed that the rim of the valve cover was a little thicker than the factory one, so filed it done a little and bingo it slid into place.

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 6 / -5
    Glad you were able to solve your problem and appreciate that you updated us on how you were able to do it.

7. RosieCastillo

RosieCastillo New Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Female
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's a great forum, I just signed up and I'm very happy that people write about how they solved a problem. I have to tell my husband to look for solutions to problems with our car.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA

9. RR12

RR12 New Member

Nov 5, 2023
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I made an account to this site just for this problem! Hopefully you can help because im at that point of taking it into the dealer.
    Im having the same issue and I tried taking out the gas line too to no avail. I can get it almost aligned with the bolts but something is holding it back. I was just working on it a few min ago but it started raining to so I had to come back in and waiting for it to stop.

But before I stopped, I noticed that I can get the right corner in but it looks like the engine hoist on the right side of the valve cover is not allowing it to align properly. Where exactly did you file it down?

10. AlanM

AlanM New Member

Jan 29, 2023
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    File the cover at the point where it binds with the engine hoist mount. It only takes about 0.5mm to get it to slip over.

11. RR12

RR12 New Member

Nov 5, 2023
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I did not think you would reply at all, let alone so quick!!! Thank you! I'll give that a shot soon and see if that works. Thanks again for replying!!