Race Stuff

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by JESFromASC, Jun 14, 2020.

1. JESFromASC

JESFromASC New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    New here - just bought a 2009 Mini JCW which is about as race prepped as you can get without a full cage.
    (I'm coming out of what was basically a spec-Miata)
    Plan is to get back to SCCA hillclimbs in 2021.
    So after initial shake down run in July she should be headed off for a full cage.
    I have been searching for a forum where Mini racers go?
    Anyone know where that might be?
    Looking for: steering wheel suggestions, window hangers, data collection favorites, A/C delete process...
    Thanks

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA. I know we have a few guys that do some race prep but they don't post allot. I wish I could tell you where is a good place for that info. Hang around we have a lot of knowledgeable people here that do a good bit of tuning, so I know we can help.
    Some of the vendors you may want to check with are:

Jan at RMW. He is one of the best mini tuners. He sales everything all the way up to full race engines.
    http://store-revolutionmini-com.3dcartstores.com

Chad at Detroit Tuned. another great guy lots of MINI experience.
    http://store-revolutionmini-com.3dcartstores.com

I have not used them but they have a good reputation
    http://store.helix13.com

and last for about any part you may want, they are not a tune shop but good place for parts
    https://www.outmotoring.com

stay away from ECS

Post some pictures. It would be great if you could do a thread on your prep and racing. Like I said I know we can help some along the way.

3. JESFromASC

JESFromASC New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    THANKS!
    Car arrives next Sunday and I will be sure to grab some pictures as I work my way through.

4. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Check FB for mini racing groups.

For A/C delete, the hardest part is finding the correct size replacement belt. Only one I know of is Dayco 5060273, and that search was done by another enthusiast in the Phoenix, AZ area. For comparison purposes, the OEM R56 belt is Dayco 5060358. How much of the A/C system you remove is your choice --- obviously the compressor, probably the A/C radiator, then most of the plumbing. The long hose that runs from firewall along driver side to the front probably needs the drivetrain removed for full access. Maybe it can be cut out. I left that hose in place but removed all the other engine compartment A/C stuff. Compressor electrical can be tied back to the main harness, to keep it from flopping in the breeze. From firewall to interior, I left it alone, so all switches and wiring is still intact. So far, no codes or CEL's, but NOT gonna be a lot of fun to drive in desert heat this summer.

Heater is still functional. If you're going for minimum weight, you probably removed that too. If so, how did you route the t'stat heater hoses? Heater core, fan and ducts?

5. JESFromASC

JESFromASC New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My only experience to date on a FULL A/C heat delete was on the Miata.
    To "really" do either you need to pull the dash out of the car.
    To install a full cage you have to do that anyway - so I went ahead and did it.
    The heater core is buried about as deep into the dash and ventilation system as you can get.
    If you really mange to get it all I would guess you are in the neighborhood of at LEAST 30 pounds of weight.
    I would never ever dream of doing it to anything that was used as a daily driver / heck even if you have to drive it to and from a track day!
    No prizes, no money, no sponsors so who cares if the car is 30 pounds heavier?
    Now if you are building a race car, well...