Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Raceland coilovers for the R50

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by iovecables, Jun 21, 2015.

1. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to fit some of those racelands and see how long they last on Costa Rica roads....would be fun.

2. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever noticed how some people never have the money to do it right, but can always find the money to do it twice ?

3. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    been there, done that Colin....not doing it again.

4. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Me too!

5. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I feel bad for using Taiwan-made stuff as the base for my suspension fix, but there's a financial limit to "doing it right" and sometimes a little research before you buy gets you a better deal than just following the conventional wisdom that some brands are simply better than others. (Koni now made in China, too...)

My original plan was Oehlins coilovers with Vorschlag camber plates, however, that combo comes up to $3k, plus there really isn't much info available online as to how well the setup works on the Mini. Very few have bought and even fewer have commented online on their experiences. Compared to the BCs from Colin, it was a big stretch to spend that much more for an uncertain outcome. Going cheaper (Megan Racing) was on the table, but being German and such, I don't do things half ass if I can avoid it.

So not being an expert on Mini suspension, I chose to do what others have found works well. And that it actually costs less than my original "do it right" plan is a bonus!

It's not like the car I have is that great - it was $8k a year ago, has 91k miles on it now, and it's costing me another $4k this summer to just get it to be safe and reliable again.

All the goodies I really want to add aren't even within my 2015 budget for it (header, custom exhaust, Aquamist, maybe a tune, roll cage, Sparco Evo seats, 6-point harnesses, quick release steering wheel, r56 trailing arms, braces, hood vents, gauges...), although once I sort out that second Mini for my son, there may be some room to start digging into that wish list before the end of the year.

Funny thing is, I still love the car, so it'll probably one day end up being a $20K ride my insurance thinks is worth $5k...

On the other hand, when I look at what you get at a stealership for $20k new these days, I am smiling ear to ear :D

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,935 / 10 / -3
    I have Eibach springs and Koni yellows. I really like the setup. Also I have IE camber plates and WMW adjustable control arms. I wish Koni were made in the USA but they still have a life time warranty. Koni does stand behind their product.

Unless you are going to do lots of track days I don't believe coilovers are worth it. But thats my opinion and its worth what you have paid to get it.

I will say that I would listen to the guys that have been posting. They know what they are talking about.

7. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    If you're good at fabrication you can't beat the Subaru STI set up for the fronts. Rears, as I found out are a little more tricky. Actually a few Mini dudes have PM'd on the conversion. Most likely if I had not rolled I would have found a good STI solution for the rear.....

8. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Colin, my original question was to get opinions from anybody who has used these on a 1st gen MINI. Not other platforms.
    I would not be surprised if the ricer kids in your town have them slammed to the ground. That's not what I will be doing = apples/oranges.
    Any chance your contact is this side of the border, or is willing to ship here?

9. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #49 Batrugger, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Because they will be so much different for the MINI? I don't think they have been available for the MINI for very long so it might be hard to find people who have used these, but if they are junk on VW's, Hondas, and other cars, then they will be junk on the MINI. Really honestly, the reason people get these is to slam the car to the ground on a budget so if your not going to do that then stick to your stock suspension or get some good lowering springs.

10. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    iovecables, I get it you wont listen, we tried. Do what you want.
    You are probably somewhere in the 18-22 demographic that racelands targets.

Keep in mind you are talking to someone with 4 thousand dollar shocks and probably another thousand dollars of other parts in my suspension.
    I know good from bad.

11. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    I would give up on giving advice. :deadhorse::deadhorse:

12. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    here you go. Enjoy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba0rlETljCw"]Raceland Ultimo Coilover Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTFXF1eP7hU"]2011 + Scion Tc Raceland Coilovers Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HgfpboeVSg"]Raceland Ultimo Coilover Review Part 1 for Nissan 350z - YouTube[/ame]

13. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    have you guys ran D2's? They are local to me and a couple locals recommended them to me for my E39 540i/6

I'm leaving the e39 alone for now and my R53 is purely a toy so if it's a little harsh I'm fine with that

14. ColinGreene

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Its Racelands with mark up and purple on them.

15. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    who told you this? D2 have full adjustment & camber kit, afaik racelands do not d2 is only 30 minutes from me so supporting a local vendor is a big plus

yeah I know they are just the importer

16. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    On the contrary, I asked because I want to make an informed decision, based on facts. The facts I'm looking for are from anybody with DIRECT experience with these on an R50, not on other platforms. Reviews on other cars are helpful to an extent. Thanks once again for all who have posted links and videos.
    Still waiting, as suspension has been put on the back-burner. Need to do exhaust first.
    I'm a bit older than 22 - I find your assumption insulting.
    So, if i understand you correctly, spending money gives you the right to be condescending?

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Umm yeah Colin knows a hell of a lot more about suspensions than you.

Anyhow after all is said and done buy cheap crap coil overs and have fun.

18. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    :deadhorse:

19. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009