Racing is Dangerous at Nürburgring

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'm not really a fan of carnage. Posting because of the first unfortunate 11 seconds...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_83G4bjze8]YouTube - ‪Racing is Dangerous at Nürburgring/Nordschleife‬‏[/ame]

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Niki Lauda would sure agree the ring is a dangerous place.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Two questions. What was the red flashing light on the rear of the cars that were spinning around and did the one car actually do a "wheelie"? Don't think I've seen that before.

Jim

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The cars with the flashing lights are F1 cars. They're used only when it's raining to aid visibility for anyone approaching from the rear through the rooster tail of spray. I think the wheelie was also an F1 car. Had enough momentum cresting that hill to lift the car enough to screw up the downforce and then the air got under the car and it turned into a kite...of sorts.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The flashing lights on the F1 cars is the mandatory rain light. It is req'd to flash on when in rainy conditions to help the cars behind you to see you.

And the one F1 car that did the wheelie simply got air under the front of the car and flipped. Has happened a few times at LeMans and they even had to modify Lime Rock Park raceway a few years ago cause some of the cars were doing the same thing.

6. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Several cars have done the "wheelie" over the hills on the course.
    Alot of the F1 footage shows mechanical components failing.
    The Ring has always been dangerous but it is a true road race circuit.
    So many courses now are designed around a central stadium.
    A true road race course uses the terrain as a design of the course.
    Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, VIR, Mid Ohio are great natural circuits.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:blush2:......I was first, but I type really slow!

:D

8. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Though with the word circuit in there, some folk would argue it's not true road racing.

Drifting off topic, but starting this week is the 100th anniversary of motorcycle road racing on the Isle of Man (off Britain) - these roads are reopened as public highways an hour after the racing. Nearly 200mph on narrow, very bumpy roads lined with stone walls and lampposts makes the Nurburgring look like a kiddies' playground. I think I've posted it before but here is a laconic Brit describing the on-bike video from his bike:
    GUY MARTIN TT Isle of Man Lap on-board - en-bike - Motorcycle Video Share Portal

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Steve & Scott. The flashing light seems like a good idea considering the roster tail kicked up.That wheelie just looked scary, as there was nothing that they could do, other then deploy 3/4 flaps.

Jim

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Isle of Mann TT is an epic race. I'm sure everyone who climbs on a bike for that race is at peace with their mortality.

Somewhat off topic, but rally has always been a very dangerous sport. Despite that fact fatalities are a rarity.

11. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    The TT has just given us an example of why it's dangerous. This rider was partly blinded by the sun, with lots of squashed flies on his visor and thought he was passing a slower rider in front of the pits. In fact he was 'passing' the divider to the pits and then travelled through the pits at about 150mph. No-one came to any harm and the (otherwise sensible) rider wasn't penalised since the pit lane speed gun doesn't record speeds that high!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rhf6ymgT9w]YouTube - ‪ISLE OF MAN TT 2011 PITLANE FAIL ALMOST CRASHED‬‏[/ame]

Gulp.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That was a lucky escape for all involved. YIKES!!!