Radiator fan dies

Discussion in 'MINI' started by MiniiMike, Oct 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MiniiMike

MiniiMike New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have an R53 and I changed my fan about 6 months ago and it completly died again, I am tired of the same problem because these fans are just not cheap at all. I used to drive a honda and I fixed it with a universal fan lol I know its a crazy idea but what do you guy suggest? Thanks for the help

2. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Dead, doesn't run at all?
    MINI, year, model?

3. MiniiMike

MiniiMike New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah it completely not running at all, i had bought an extra one and i hoping it doesnt do the same. do you now why this could be happening?

FYI> i checked the fuse and the sensors and they all are working perfectly fine.

4. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Again, what year?
    Since the fan usually does not run, how are you testing to verify that it does not run at all?

5. THE ITCH

THE ITCH New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    MiniiMike
    I do not know what year you have but their are two different wiring configurations. I think the year that they changed was around '04 and newer.
    The newer models have a three wire plug just to the right of the radiator(drivers side). To test your fan, and or to see if the low speed resistor is bad you could do a simple test. Disconnect the wiring harness plug and inside the plug leading to the fan you will have three prongs if it is the newer model. Brown is the ground wire, red/blue is high speed, red/green is low speed.
    Take a couple of leads and run one from the brown prong to a bolt on the frame (ground). Then take another lead and connect it to your 12V jumper box next to the air filter. If you then connect the other end to the red/blue prong you should hear your high speed fan run. Then try the red/green (low speed fan)prong. If the high speed works you know the fan is ok. If the low speed does not work then you know the resistor is bad. Their is a good thread on NAM for a work around. Just do a search for "low speed fan resistor" it is about 29 pages. The fix is a new resistor for about $15.
    Steve

6. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just chucked a bad fan that I replaced earlier this summer. The fix took only about 2 hours total to replace the fan assembly. And the cost to replace was a lot less than the retail prices I had seen.

Maybe I should pull that assembly out of the can, and look into that resistor fix.

7. werD

werD Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Slave to technology...
    Nashville, TN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Yes you should...

I keep meaning to grab a "dead" one from the dealer to rebuild so I can have a free spare on hand. Should be a pretty easy fix. There is a thread on NAM (or maybe here) about the part/repair process.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK.....first thing I thought of when I read the subject was some poor slob dies after loving on his radiator.........