Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen Radio has poor reception, can it be the "stubby" antenna

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jerseymini, Aug 29, 2012.

1. jerseymini

jerseymini New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hey

My 2007 S Convertible came without an antenna, so I bought the "stubby" antenna from amazon. My radio has poor reception, no static, just fades in and out, on most channels. Can it be the "stubby" antenna ?

I can buy the bigger antenna, but just thought I'd ask here first. Any issues you know of with stubby's ?

Thanks
    Kim

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: That's a definite maybe. The more metal hanging out, the better that the reception should be. My Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) has the tiny 2in antenna and gets very good reception from 70mi away in Dallas. Do you have a friend with a MINI who would swap with you for a day or so such that you could experience what difference the whip antenna makes? Don't buy one until you know for sure.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What is this radio thing you are talking about?

I have a 120 gig iPod and have not listened to the radio in 6 years.:wink::ihih::lol:

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: We mistakenly thought that this was the; "You're older than dirt if you remember........." thread. Sorry:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Jerseymini if I had an old OEM long antenna laying around I would send it to you. Good luck on your search.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The stubby antenna on my MINI seems to make no difference in reception that I can determine. Wonder if there is more to the static that the length of your antenna?

7. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The hard top "refresh" gen1 mini has dual antennas...a second one is embidded in the glass...they have a "diversity" antenna, so a shorty on a 2005+ causes little change in fm reception (am is a different issues, as antenna length is more important).
    Since the op has a cabrio, not a hard top, and no 2nd anteanna, i would think his issue is the antenna....
    if you want a short one for looks, a "rubber ducky" one is more effective than many short ones that a billet metal, since the antenna is a wound wire covered in rubber...so more effective length.

8. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    so you're saying size does matter and a rubber ducky will give more effective length? :ihih:

9. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Just 2 cents worth, my AM reception sucked from day one.

10. jerseymini

jerseymini New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to see if I can find someone in the area for me to test the longer antenna.

am seems to be fine, fm has issues. I don't seem to hear static, just fading in and out. The CD's sound great, but then no antenna involved there...

11. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Check for corrosion in the base where the antenna screws in. You stated that it did NOT have an antenna when you bought it. Sometimes water gets in there and can cause the antenna base to go bad. See it more with hard tops the convertibles, but it is worth checking out before you buy a longer antenna.

12. jerseymini

jerseymini New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I may ask Mini of Monmouth if they have an antenna I can use for a day, I recommend that dealer if you're in the central NJ area. I have dealt with them a few times already,(used them for service and parts) and they have been very good to me (in my opinion)