Most liked posts in thread: Rallye Communications

1. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    They are a different frequency bands. CB's are on the 27MHz range, and FRS/GMRS are in the 462 and 467MHz range. The radio in Aaron's MINI is FRS/GMRS but is vehicle mount instead of a handheld radio.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Exactly.

Aaron's write-up on his rig is in this thread:
    MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - FRS/GMRS mobile repeater

Personally - I have both Cobra and Motorola (actually made by Giant) GMRS radios. When driving, I normally use the Moto with a boom headset, set to push-to-talk instead of VOX. This works best in the convertible with the top down - folks can hear me... but I don't have to worry about it transmitting everytime a loud noise happens (often, in my car) or when I'm talking to my co-pilot.

I also have a Cobra 40 channel CB installed in my car, which I only use to monitor Ch19 when I'm on the interstate to listen to the truckers talking about LEOs, traffic and detours.

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mishka.

I was pretty sure there was a different set of frequencies between the two. The setup of Aaron's *looked* pretty 'CBish', enough to ask

4. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Paul, not sure if I want to get that nutty yet

We got some issues in St. Louie getting people to want to do anything so I'm not too keen to go to nuts, just a little nuts!

5. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    We have a pair of FRS/GMRS radios (handheld) and one earpiece/mic that we got at Radio Shack for ~$30. We mainly use them on rallies but they come in handy on other trips and activities. Definitely worth the money.

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    thats what I was eyeing, thanks for confirming my thinking (as dangerous as that can be!)