1st Gen R53 Cooper S Ran the R53 at the 1/4 mile

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Tummi_Gummi, Mar 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    #21 LoLowe, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    Track day/ Drag race it's all racing and it's all abusive, to the bits,pieces, and parts of a car no matter of make model or manufacture. It's what you consider fun and what is available in your area.:) As was previously stated preventive maintenance helps in keeping a daily driver, sometime racer happy. I've had a few daily driver racers in my time and as long as you maintain them they last, and won't let you down on the drive there,or the drive home after hard day on the track.

2. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Have fun with these cars... if you beat anything its life is diminished.

I have replaced my lower bushings do to 'wild' torque steer on the bottle runs.. Axles/clutch/CV joints/ trans/ shifter.. all stock on my 06 !!

They say here in the south.." IF your not going to run with the big dogs... stay on the porch!" I guess you could always keep it safe and in the garage?? Yes??

Just have fun and fix when it breaks..

Just me.............................

Thumper

3. 10Nathan10

10Nathan10 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I agree if you are going to spend the time and money modding it why not have fun with it? Good luck and the more you do it the faster you will get.

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Just pulled out my OEM clutch with 290k miles. It's pretty thin lol. Definitely worn all the way out. It couldn't hold my cars power anymore. I'm in the middle of a huge rebuild. Rebuilding the whole motor, new head as well. Tons of other goodies. SMF valeo conversion, trans mount bushing, bushings. I didn't even need to bore my block but I am. At 290k miles I was very impressed. I can use stock bearings and could use stock Pistons but I'm going 77.5 cause that's what pistons I have.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Drag racing a MINI is like taking a Dragster on the Ring or any auto cross track ......stupid.

6. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Tummi, I am a little confused. In my youth I really liked drag racing and ran a C gas Chevy. But your picture shows a mini with clouds of smoke coming from the rear wheels. AFAIK, the MINI is a front wheel drive car. Do you have a problem with burning oil? :) :) :)

7. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    To get the best times shift at a RPM that does not allow the engine to fall below peak torque

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Get a good head of steam up and jank the E-brake.... Smoke them rear tars...:D

9. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, youve said that once before a few years ago.

Repeating yourself in hopes someone bites on your troll bait? No one cares you dont like the 1/4 so knock off the spamming for your oh so glorious post count.

As far as the being hard on the car; the 1/4 is no harder on the car than a day of Auto-X and id consider it less hard than a full track day. With that being said, being able to launch your car efficiently is critical to good auto-x times for those that are truly competitive, and the drag strip is an excellent place to hone those skills.

10. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    While being safe and abiding laws. However, my auto cross lot is a truck driving school lot so the terrain is quite different. I can launch at a higher rpm at the track that's coated with tacky tar than I can on cracked asphalt that's got some loose gravel on it. Nonetheless, drag racing a car is no different than flooring it on the on ramp. What is he so worried about? Hitting redline? If it was unsafe to hit redline they would have lowered it. That's the whole point of a redline. If you're concerned about wheel hopping since it's FWD well then yes that puts a lot of strain on the drive train and mounts. But I have several different braces and stiffer motor mounts. I've never had wheel hop in my mini. If someone wants to drag their car let them. It's their vehicle, let them enjoy it in a safe location.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #31 Dave.0, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Hey buddy my point is still valid, MINi's are still not drag racing cars. Troll bait.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: go back under your rock.

Reving to 5 or 6 K and dumping the clutch is very hard on a car, ANY CAR. Doing it on a super sticky drag track is VERY hard on the drivetrain and has been known to brake even custom expensive axles. Also auto cross tracks do not have super sticky launch pads so dragging a car as practice does not help you or the car at all. It is not the same and driving down an on ramp and getting up to speed or even auto cross. Auto cross takes skill and car control.

You know a car has a stearing wheel and brakes for a reason right? :idea: yeah turning and braking are both things that idiots that drag race MINI's don't understand.

I bet you are one of those guy that revs the motor and says "watch this" and dumps the clutch at redline and does a burnout holding the e-brake. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: yeah that takes skill.

If it's not hard on a car like you say then why is Tummi whatever's car all beat to hell and broke down needing a full rebuild if it was not abused and beat to hell? Look at his signature pick....duh

Why am I still saying the same thing, because I along with everyone else that knows anything about cars know drag racing kills cars.

12. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

MINIs arent auto-x cars, or track day cars, or family cars, or commuter cars, or...anything. At this point at time they are barely able to accomplish any level of prestige, but that doesnt stop people from trying. So why arent you in everyones thread yelling they should stop DDing their cars? Its his car, and if he wanted your specific opinion he may ask for it, but at this time i dont see anyone that would...

You are obviously very ignorant to what drag racing can be or is. I never broke anything on track, and so far neither has JasonSMF apparently. Drivers ability comes into play, and the only way to become good is to practice.

The potential to BREAK ( ;) ) parts is always there, especially when pushing the cars past its designed limits (which are honestly pretty low) regardless of the arena. MINIs have broke all sorts of parts auto-x'ing and track daying, and hell even DDing. So whats your point? That everyone should stop doing the one thing you hate? Haha egotistical much?

The OP shared his experience with everyone and you being you (not much has changed in a few years obviously) decided to be typical your overly opinionated jack-wagon self like always. Just reflect on your post history, youve added absolutely zero to the dying community in years with the exception of smartass comments to everyone. Maybe enjoy staking the last few coffin nails in?

Me? Yeah, i took a hiatus because i moved onto bigger and better things and now wanted to revisit the old community, but thanks to people like you there isnt much left. Happy trolling...

13. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... I think I'm going back to NAM. Much more mature crowd over there.

14. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

Insane to think thats how its all ended up considering the reason for MAs reason for origination.

Tummi; continue enjoying your MINI in all things its capable of doing! ;)

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok one person does not make MA. Love Dave, hate Dave I don't care but he is not the only person on MA. I am not defending Dave, he is capable of doing that himself. I am defending MA. There are a lot of people here, just because you disagree or don't like one person is no need to leave. You have gotten good friendly advice here I know I am one that have given it and a lot of people have liked your post. I don't mean to be blunt but get some thicker skin and ignore Dave if you don't like him. I have not added to this thread because I don't care if someone puts their Mini on a drag strip. I would never do it. I have a relative that has always been heave into building old American iron. When I was young he took me to drag strips all over the south east. Drag racing is pointless and I love it! But I would not put my mini on the strip. But hay if you want to thats cool by me.

16. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    ^^^^ Excellent post MCS02 !!

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    See ya:Thumbsup:

18. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Just curious why the mods don't do anything about Dave. I've been around for years and have never seen Dave say anything nice to anyone. He's very passive aggressive. I love jack Nicholson as an actor but I hate him as a representative avatar of an ass online lmao.

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I was banned once maybe twice but this site needs me. Lmfao

I have also helped lots of people but you would not know that since you only focus on posts you think are negative.

20. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

Youre right.

This site would crumble to the ground with your only neutrally stanced comments in the Word of the Day thread.