2nd Gen R60 Countryman RANT!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by frankthetank77, Oct 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Yes, interesting plate, what is the backstory on it?

76K, not many miles, are they hard miles with frequent oil changes? Since the turbo went out etc...... Just curious how the Countryman has been driven?

I got the JD POWER survey in the mail on Saturday for my 2011 Countryman, one of the reasons I bought the 100K mechanical after the fact was some of my early problems.

I suspect I will be springing for a set of shocks and will be doing front brakes when I get back from my road trip in my 2016. Shocks, brakes, yadda yadda are not covered in the 100K mechanical.

Brakes will be set 3 on the 2011 and now into the third set of tires, but really only two sets since i retired the RUNFARTS at 14K miles due to a nail and ride. :(

So, the backstory, was this plate put on after you started having issues with your 11? :devil:

2. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I think the plate is just photoshopped so his actual tag number isnt in the picture....

3. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Marketing, graphic design, photography and video p
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I shopped the plate for the heck of it.

I purchased the car used and have only had it for a little over a year. My driving style isn't hard by any means. I mean I do get have some fun with her but not over doing it. I was a little late on the first oil change but also haven't needed that many to qualify for lack of upkeep...so I don't know how the previous owner drove it. I purchased it from a BMW dealer here in California, but they purchased the car from New York.

Just did the brakes all the way around. Purchased some StopTech Cryo Treated slotted rotors, Brembo pads for the front and Akebono euro ceramic pads for the back. Would have put Brembo's all the way around, but they don't make pads for the rear.

I did just drop about a little over a grand on some Pirelli Cinturato P7's and an alignment. I was leery on not getting the run flats since there isn't a spare. I just makes me nervous.

My wish list:
    NM Eng. Air Charge Pipe
    NM Eng. Discharge Pipe
    Front Strut Brace
    Actual, not platidipped, black wheels
    And some sort of muffler upgrade

But from the looks of it, it'll be a while before I can actually get to this list.

4. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Marketing, graphic design, photography and video p
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    What are your thoughts?

My thought is maybe something with the VANOS solenoid? Not really sure. However I am curious to see what everyones thoughts are on this. Here is the list of parts that were replaced.

Turbo Charger (due to loose waste gate flap)
    Auxiliary Water Pump
    Water Pump Pulley
    Right Front Axle (boot was leaking and the inspector, for the warranty company, decided to just condemn the whole thing)
    Vanos solenoide (defective vanos solenoid) included a full article on the vanos too, just in case anyone wasn't familiar with it...i know I wasn't!
    Engine Drive Belt (my request since it was getting close to needing replacing anyway)
    Various clamps and gaskets

Recap: This was done prior to the engine blowing a piston 175 miles later down the road.

And please keep in mind, I'm not blaming the tech, this is just for conversation and theory.