Raped by the local goverment. Again!!!

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by goaljnky, Dec 17, 2009.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Seems like the city of LA is insisting that I have my front plate mounted. They constantly remind me through little letters that cost me $25. At this point it seems they don't even have to pull you over anymore. They can just write you a ticket as you pass them by. Last one came in the mail yesterday.

"Sorry the officer couldn't attach it to your car. Please pay within 7 days". No duh. The PARKING OFFICER couldn't attach it to my car because the car was MOVING!!! Since when can parking enforcement issued tickets to moving vehicles? And they don't even require you to get it fixed (like it used to be). Now it's just send us the money and see you next time. This is from the same bunch that just hired an outside consulting firm to study the feasibility of a county supervisor to spend $700,000 to remodel his office.

Out governments are out of control. I quote from The Declaration of Independence:

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    GoMiniGo.com

i actually kind of like having it on there more than not with this thing... Always getting asked about it

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    jnky,

Amen, brother.

Though, in your case, simplest thing would be just to move to a less insane state. A whole lot easier than overthrowing the government, in my experience.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Ye, already got one coming.

Not as fun and you don't get to meet as many people. :D

What burns my butt is the fact that this (insert derogatory name) didn't even have to put down his doughnut to write it up.

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Ever see one of those motorized tag mounts that allow you to neatly and remotely tuck it under the front bumper? A bit pricey but very cool.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I am sure around here that would somehow also be illegal and would result in a bigger fine.

7. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you (your car?) shouldn't dress so provocatively? ;)

Sucks.. and I know the feeling. Our state is right behind yours in financial stupidity last I heard.

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The frustrating part is that they keep changing the rules to fit their needs. I know I drive with no front plate. I've been written up for it once in the past 5 years and that was at a stupid road block through a residential neighborhood during a morning rush hour. Where the enforcing anything in particular? Hell no! They were just looking for anything that could supplement the city's income.

For the past 5 years I have managed to not park two cars on the streets thus avoiding tickets. So now they change the rules once again. The oxymoron of the whole thing is that the ticket was issued on a moving vehicle by a PARKING ENFORCEMENT hack. The car was not parked. Stay in your own lane, douche.

Maybe it's just me, but the fallacy of a government being able to issue a fine by you simply being in their line of site gets my blood boiling.

Don't even get me started on how much of my household income goes to a government of some level. I am not even in the highest tax bracket (yet), but if I were to add up income taxes, FICA and Medicare, property taxes, assessments, fees on fines, various taxes on internet acces, wireless service, cable, phone and utilities and sales tax that I am not able to avoid by shopping online and out of state. At this point I would say I don't get to keep nearly half of what my family makes, if not more. But of course that's not enough. Now I get fined for simply driving by some dikweed who was too fat and lazy to actually get out of his car to write the damn citation.

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    But...

in CA a front licence plate is required. Who cares who sees what the infraction is! It's still against the law (at least up here, we have fix it tickets for stuff like this. No harm, no foul).

While I agree that it's a micky mouse kind of issue and a not very good law, bitching that a parking cop wrote you up for a vehicle infraction when the car was moving sounds like whining. This is us getting MORE value for the salary dollar because they're multi-tasking! ;)

And FWIW, I set up a So Cal guy to have the ProShift I/O control one of those plate gizmos for SEMA. Really, it could be used to say "if car moving, hide plate, if car stopped, extend plate".

I just use the tow hook plate mount. Take it out at the track and mount up the hook. Reverse for the drive home. And yes, a fix it ticket for a front plate motivated me to keep it mounted. And it was written by a parking cop. But for me, the car was parked.

Matt

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive."

-Thomas Jefferson

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    OK, funny man. You come to AMVIV. I will get you drunk. I will get you to expose yourself to underage women. I will take pictures and sent them to LVPD. Then you can explain to them that they were not there.

P.S. Don't forget to bring my order.

12. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #12 howsoonisnow1985, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    I have been running the euro plates for over 5 years now. I am absolutely clear that they are illegal and very willing to pay the consequence cause I know I am in the wrong. I know they are a CA violation, cause all the VW and Honda guys ask me if I have been pulled over for it, that they have been continually pulled over and ticketed. I keep them on despite this, I am willing to pay the fine, because I know I am breaking the law, committing an offense, an infraction. I could see why law enforcement would want front plates on all cars. It would make it easier for LEO to read plates, or witnesses, or pics of plates to be taken for red lights, toll roads, security reasons. I do not see myself as "Above the Law" but am willing to pay for consequences just to look cool, I guess. So I would not consider it, "Raped by the local goverment" but more of a consensual relationship.

13. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Virginia has the same law, but neighboring states don't (I think). You'd think they would weigh the fines they reap versus the cost of making the front plates and see what is more cost effective. Remove the front plate requirement and you license plate manufacturing costs would be cut in half. I think that would be better for the state as opposed to the few "no front plate" tickets they write. Then again, if it makes sense, it has no chance to become a law.

But I agree with y'all. EVERYTHING looks better with no front plate. (or at least a Euro plate) I guess ya just gotta pick you battles. Personally, I don't need any more reason to get pulled over. I think I push the envelope no matter which vehicle I drive, though maybe not the motorhome!

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The point that is being missed here is that the guy who wrote the ticket was out of his jurisdiction. Additionally, it is the fact that the government is changing the rules and making it even easier for them to get out money. How would you like if the cops could write you tickets for tinted windows just because they saw you drive by without having you to pull over? Then they can just sit by the side of the road, write down license plate numbers and process the tickets at the end of the day.

Here is the VC I was sited under:

Specifically, I was sited under section D. If you care to read through all of them, the code covers parked cars only. I was never parked, so he should not have been able to issue the ticket.

15. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It seems that 40225(b) says you're screwed.

40225. (a) An equipment violation entered on the notice of parking violation attached to the vehicle under Section 40203 shall be processed in accordance with this article. All of the violations entered on the notice of parking violation shall be noticed in the notice of delinquent parking violation delivered pursuant to Section 40206, together with the amount of civil penalty.
    (b) Whether or not a vehicle is in violation of any regulation governing the standing or parking of a vehicle but is in violation of subdivision (a) of Section 5204, a person authorized to enforce parking laws and regulations shall issue a written notice of parking violation, setting forth the alleged violation. The violation shall be processed pursuant to this section.

Way I read this is specifically gives a parking enforcement officer the right to cite cars with equipment violations even if they are not "standing or parking" (I'm not sure what "standing" is defined as, but the combined term is what is covered by "parking violations").

But have at it and contest if you want. But I fear that without reading the whole of the vehicle code, including sections like I found above, the defense "well I was driving so some parking dimwit doesn't have jurisdiction to cite my equipment violation" won't get much traction with the court.

Face it, you're just pissed that you got a ticket. But before you dump on the parking enforcement office for over reaching, you should make damned sure that they don't have any defined jurisdition that goes farther than parking lots. Seems that the above section of the code says they do.

Matt

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #16 goaljnky, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
    All well and good, but none of the sections you quoted were on the ticket. You very well know how these things work. If they want to write me up under that code, then it needs to be listed on the ticket. Furthermore, the vehicle code you quoted and specifically section (b) refers to Vehicle Code 5204 only. VC 5204 deals with expired tags, only.

17. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
  18. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yep. There was a post a few years back on the sewing site that hat a link to either an educational, or informational video on what Cali cops look for. It was pretty scary.

19. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You may have a point...

so then go read up on the the relevant stuff, and go to court!

When I got my ticket, it was a "fix it" ticket. I just did one for out of date tags.... Dismissal fee.... $25.

Matt

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Already in progress.