Suspension Brakes 1st Gen **READ EBC BRAKE USERS ~EBC PAD FAILURES *

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Dave.0, May 6, 2013.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am now NOT RECOMMENDING EBC brake pads to anyone since my last two sets of EBC Reds have failed because the pad has separated from the backing plate.

I would highly advise everyone with any EBC brakes to check there brakes ASAP by taking off your wheels and compressing the pads and make sure the pads is still attached to the backing plate. I would advise you remove the pad and inspect them and make sure the pad is still attached securely.

EBC did warranty replace the last set with a new set and they are we're on the car and last week both front pads (each outside) pad separated from the backing plate at the Dragon.

FYI My buddy was replacing front brakes with Brakeman street pads today and while removing his front pads he found this when he took of his EBC's.
    (See below)

This is what my 3 pads looked like but they were Reds. I also know of another person local to me hat had a set of EBC greens fail and destroy his rotors and EBC did replace everything Pads and Rotors but brakes are not something you ever want to fail EVER!

I am now going to back to Carbotech pads because they stop well and dust a little more but never failed or come apart like the EBC's.

Attached Files:

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Pretty disturbing stuff. I've never had any pad separate like that & hope I never do. Thanks for the heads up Dave.

3. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Both sets that is disturbing, I wonder if EBC changed plants that make the EBC Reds.

That is a heavy liability issue, I hope they recall.

Don

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    This isn't the first time I've heard of trouble with EBC friction materials but it's the first time I've heard of entire pads coming off the backing plate intact.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just to be clear I personally had this issue with twice with my EBC Reds. One set was from Way and the second set was from EBC directly to replace the first set.

* Way (WMW) has no control over EBC's quality he is just a reseller.

When I spoke to EBC customer service they said they have never had heard of this problem before but I know this in not true. My friends EBC greens failed the exact same way months before and if you search the web you will see other reporting the same problem.

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Sucks, because I'm liking mine... but yeah, it's unacceptable, and scary, given how and where I drive... I kinda need them to work ALL the time.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just to be clear I personally had this issue with twice with my EBC Reds. One set was from Way and the second set was from EBC directly to replace the first set.

* Way (WMW) has no control over EBC's quality he is just a reseller.

When I spoke to EBC customer service they said they have never had heard of this problem before but I know this in not true. My friends EBC greens failed the exact same way months before and if you search the web you will see other reporting the same problem.

EBC brake Pad fail. MX-5
    by sarahlc » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:17 pm

For the second time now I have had a EBC green stuff pad fail due to the friction material separating from the backing pad. The first time a couple of years ago was a front pad. The second time was this morning when the friction material from a rear pad fell out and smash its self on the road as I went to apply the brakes, I pressed the brake peddle and it went straight to the floor , I quickly lifted and reapplied and I came to a stop as normal. A quick look at the rear brakes quickly revealed a pad had failed, and I quickly found the friction material a few yards back in lots of pieces. Now I was only going about 15mph when it happened, but I hate the thought that this could of happened at a worse time and at a much higher speed.

One failed pad as far I am concerned could be put down to bad luck, but with 2 failed pads now, and I am starting to think that EBC have a friction material bonding problem. A quick search on the internet has turned up similar stories of EBC pads failing. I don't think I will be going with EBC pads again, and certainly not greenstuff.

And BMW failures in Europe.

Brake pad failure

8. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    ah, nuts

I appreciate the heads-up.
    I have greens on the R53 and like them. Shoot...I'll have to check them this week - nuts...:frown5:

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Dave, did you follow the recommended bed-in procedure for both sets? Curious if this has any effect good or bad.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Checked the green stuffed pads on our Meotter & all is well. I don't plan on changing them out now, but will keep an eye on them.

11. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    That should not happen regardless of how you bed them or treat them! I have used the reds before and liked them, but after this years dragon I am completely sold on Carbotechs.

12. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Damn, I have a front set waiting in the garage to go with new rotors. The Reds on there now are +half gone but still sticking to the backing plate.
    EBC better get on the stick and track down their issue, this could be costly.
    I wonder if they have batch numbers printed on their product box's.

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've been thinking about this & wondering....

Were the pads bedded properly?

Were the pads used beyond their design limits? If so maybe the exces heat killed them?

Were used to a point where the pads were beyond their wear limit? If the inboard pads were very thin that could be the issue?

Could EBC have a bad batch of pads out there?

Just thinking out loud here & wondering....

14. Stinker

Stinker Active Member

May 16, 2009
    USPS Maintenance Mech
    Smithfield, VA
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. Having just finished with the Dragon will have to jack the Clubman up for a visual check. And tell other friends that run these.

15. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Reds front and rear and no problems. They stop on a dime and give me $.09 change. They set on the shelf here at my house for four years prior to being installed though. So maybe they were made prior to any alleged formula change or it takes the glue 4yrs to dry.:yikes::lol: I'll just keep an eye on this thread and my EBC RedStuff pads.:popcorn::popcorn:

Jason

16. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I have about 2 years on my EBC reds. I just swapped the front brakes for a BBK and the pads, although a bit worn didnt fall apart. I guess I will have to take a look at the rears just to make sure they are still intact.

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    We all drive differently. Some are harder on pads than others. If I had these issues I'd be going for a higher performance pad.

Thanks for the heads up, this is something we all should be aware of. Checking brakes is as important as checking oil me thinks.

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Folks I seriously suggest again that some of you try the Cool Carbon pads from Bavarian Autosport. They really are a top of the line pad.

19. ecosse335

ecosse335 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Oakville, ON
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Pad choice

Love my Carbotech's! No issues since I fitted them, a bit more dust but stop on a dime!

20. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Knowing how serious you are about your oil Crash, does this mean you change pads every three thousand miles? :lol::lol:

Jim