2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Ready to order a MCS...advice?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by selder, Sep 24, 2011.

1. selder

selder New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, first post and I hope you'll bear with me for some advice and hand holding. My wife just let it slip that she'd really love to have a Mini, and who am I to stand in her way :devil:.
    We went to our local dealer where she decided that as long as we got Spice Orange she would be happy. Gotta love her.
    After listening to the sales guy go on about what a huge improvement in handling you get from Run Flats I thought I might better ask you folks...
    I am looking for bang for the buck and informed choice on dealer vs aftermarket.
    On the order list:
    MCS Hardtop, manual
    Cold Weather Package (I'm in Colorado)
    Sport Package
    Headlight washer
    Sport Suspension
    Harmon Kardon
    Mudflaps

The appearance items being considered:
    Anthracite headliner
    Black Headlight Housing

Any observations?

I'm thinking that I'd be happier with floor mats from WeatherTech, I'll make my own boot blanket etc for the dog rather than shelling out $500...what about "Bumper Protection" for $46 or the roof rack bases for $250?

It's hard to imagine that the Sport Package is a bad deal, although I don't expect to love either the wheels or tires. How about the Sport Suspension? Again it seems like aftermarket parts might offer more options, but $500 ain't much for bars, sampers, and springs...how good a setup is it? I am really this way and that about the headliner...is there any real advantage to the black, or is it pure styling? I DO really like the look of the black headlight housings, so i think that those are a go...

Thanks for looking and have fun,
    Steve

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A, thanks for joining.

Floor mats- You will probably want two sets. The carpeted ones for the warmer months and the foul weather ones for the colder snowy months. The OEM all weather ones are pretty darn good and can be had from many of the M/A sponsors for less than the dealership parts counter asks.

Not sure what the Bumper Protection is.

Roof Rack Bases - Unless you plan on adding a roof rack at a later date then this would be a waste. They look silly without a roof rack on the car too.

The sport package is a good deal IMHO.

Headliner is a personal thing. I wish I had a darker one myself.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I would definitely go for the headlight blackout, wish that was avail when I ordered mine.
    I want to say go for the anthracite headliner (etc) too but I think that might depend on other interior choices.
    Not sure about the mudflaps. Are they dealer installed options? If so, I would probably go without them at first because they can be installed at any time. Personal preference though of course.

Cost is always an issue but I would consider swapping the Sport Package for the JCW Package. The Sport Package includes a couple things you already have to add to get the black headlight housing (white turn signals and zenons), leaving DTC, 17" wheels (5 choices) and stripes (if you want them). The JCW pkg also gives you DTC and 17" wheels plus special sills and interior accents and (the best part) the JCW aero kit! The wheels are different so that's a matter of preference but then so is the JCW aero kit which I personally think makes it worth the extra cash. It's a much better look (my opinion, of course). Check the prices of those JCW Challenge Spoke wheels and the JCW Aero Kit if you add them to your car individually. I'm not a fan of those JCW wheels but I would probably add the JCW kit, then trade those expensive wheels with someone. :wink:

Sport suspension? If you plan to leave it alone (i.e., no aftermarket upgrades) at least until the warranty expires, then yes, absolutely. It's a good upgrade but keep in mind that if either of you like a soft ride the sport susp will take some of that away. If you like handling you'll still like the car without the susp upgrade but you'll probably like it even more with it. :ihih: Other side of that coin: I paid for the sport package (which way back then included the sport suspension) and regretted it later because within a year or two I changed out everything included other than the front sway bar.

I'm surprised no one has jumped on the bit about your sales guy telling you about "a huge improvement in handling you get from Run Flats." They're getting better all the time but very few people will agree that you can improve handling by switching to run flats! They may be the most convenient choice though if that's top of the priority list given you won't have a spare but then you don't get a spare because it's not actually a choice...the S comes with run flats standard.

If you haven't, spend some quality time on the configurator at mini.com playing with options, etc. :Thumbsup:

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Oops, I see you can't get the JCW pkg with Spice Orange...never mind...

5. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    The sport package is worth it if you plan to leave it stock while it is under warranty (which I personalyl recommend). You would hate to have the dealer deny warranty service for something because you have "modified the automobile".

I would strongly encourage you to avoid the RunFlat's if you can. They come standard with the S - but perhaps you can drop them to regulars and "make do" with a patch kit, can of Fix-a-flat and/or some kind of roadside assistance.

6. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Get the black head-lamps. They werent' an option when I got mine and I was jealous when I saw them come out.

I have the sport suspension. I've driven non sports suspension cars plenty. They are VERY different. However, I am a fairly hard driving enthusiast. I enjoy beating on my car at autocrosses and the track while leaving the car showroom stock (aside from brakes and tires). If you are going to beating your car-up on the winter thrashed roads and it's mostly a commuter you might want to stick with the standard suspension.

I'm with the croud here regarding the runflats: Ditch'em. I drive with two-cans of Fix-a-Flat just in case. Tires are cheaper and better as non-run-flats.