Ready to order a MCS...advice?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by selder, Sep 24, 2011.

1. selder

selder New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also posted this on the Gen 2 S forum...not TRYING to be a jerk, just anxious for feedback :wink:

Hi all, first post and I hope you'll bear with me for some advice and hand holding. My wife just let it slip that she'd really love to have a Mini, and who am I to stand in her way .
    We went to our local dealer where she decided that as long as we got Spice Orange she would be happy. Gotta love her.
    After listening to the sales guy go on about what a huge improvement in handling you get from Run Flats I thought I might better ask you folks...
    I am looking for bang for the buck and informed choice on dealer vs aftermarket.
    On the order list:
    MCS Hardtop, manual
    Cold Weather Package (I'm in Colorado)
    Sport Package
    Headlight washer
    Sport Suspension
    Harmon Kardon
    Mudflaps

The appearance items being considered:
    Anthracite headliner
    Black Headlight Housing

Any observations?

I'm thinking that I'd be happier with floor mats from WeatherTech, I'll make my own boot blanket etc for the dog rather than shelling out $500...what about "Bumper Protection" for $46 or the roof rack bases for $250?

It's hard to imagine that the Sport Package is a bad deal, although I don't expect to love either the wheels or tires. How about the Sport Suspension? Again it seems like aftermarket parts might offer more options, but $500 ain't much for bars, sampers, and springs...how good a setup is it? I am really this way and that about the headliner...is there any real advantage to the black, or is it pure styling? I DO really like the look of the black headlight housings, so i think that those are a go...

Thanks for looking and have fun,
    Steve

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Hi Steve and welcome to M/A! I can't say for R 56 because mine is an R53 but I got the sport suspension on mine originally and loved it. I later changed to the JCW suspension which was even better. I was also unaware of the anthracite headliner but later I bought all the parts and converted myself. Had I know I would have ordered it, but it is purely cosmetic. Run flats are good because you don't have to worry about a spare and for me handled very good, BUT once I switched over it was a different story. I don't think you can order a S without them though.
    Sure you can get lots of aftermarket mods but remember you'll be in warranty for 4 years and you don't want to chance a denial for using non oem parts. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers
    Mr. Jim

3. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    hmmm,
    bumper cover - definitely, especially if you have a dog, it'll help protect from scratches. I'd also consider a clear bra on the front to keep all those pesky cinder chips from your bonnet. If you're planning on taking it skiing, biking, ect get the roof rack towers. That's a good deal. IMHO "sport" package is the minimum, JCW is awesome! But that again depends on what you want from performance.
    Keep us posted!