Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Rear Trailing Arm Bushing

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by KC Jr 54, Sep 14, 2010.

1. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    On my 05/2003 MCS My trailing arm bushings are shot, especially after 102k miles. Looking to replace them, and on the cheap. I know powerflex makes the insert, but for me that just seems like a band-aid, and the factory are $100/each. (not to bad really)

Before i bought just factory new ones, i was just curious if anyone had/has any experience with these from Bav-auto: Welcome to bavauto.com | Performance Tuned Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

There is a kit online made by whiteline as well, but are over double the money.

Install looks to be very much like the front ones.

Input welcome, thanks !

-Ken

2. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I would say a big NO to that style bushing. The motion of the pickup point of the rear trailing arm, like the front control arm, is not happy with such a rigid bushing.

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Greg and I have ongoing debates about BA bushings..

but fundimentally he's right. The design is less complient than the location and movement requires, but I don't see it as big a negative as he does. But then, Greg actually builds race cars..... But these aren't nearly the design "sin" that the ones for the front control arms are!

Anyway, if you're going to replace the bushing there, look around for more options. And the stock units on the rear arm aren't nearly the problem that the stock units on the front arms are either!

Matt

4. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Are the rears the same design as the fronts or similar in that they have fixed centers and twist and possibly tear when going through extreme travel?

I.E. should I take a look at mine considering the massive range of travel mine are subjected to? I honestly haven't ever thought to look at the trailing arm bushing as I (possibly naively) assumed it was more free moving than the one up front.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The rear...

doesn't use a hexogonal shaft. And the BA unit has a metal sleeve that MAY rotate in the bush. It could if properly designed. But like the front, the rear moves in a somewhat strage motion as the mounting axis is neither in line with the motion nor perpendicular to the motion. But because of the length of the rear control arm, smaller forces at the bush hold it in place than on the front, that can get some massive torques on it that change toe and the like. Actually, the rear would be a great place for a spherical bush.

Matt

6. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm...gonna have to look into it.

Thanks, matt :D

7. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I am not trying to be stubborn, and i take your two opinions very seriously.

In my eyes, there is almost zero difference between these and having fresh OEM mounts w/ PF inserts. Does that sound logically or even true for you guys ?

And which range of motion is limited w/ this bushing ?

Also, there are next two zero options concerning the rear from what i have found.

1) OEM
    2) PF inserts (once heard rumors they were going to release a full bushing replacement, but i think their fire put that project aside)
    3) Solid poly bushings (Bav-Auto & Whiteline)
    4) Onasled racing setup.

If there is anything else out there, i am all ears !!

8. Onasled Racing

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Not really much.
    Depending on what you are doing with your car and how you maintain it then my system is really the best available......,but not to be repetitive, I am not trying to push them on daily drivers. Otherwise I would just look into filling the voids in the factory bushing with RTV or go with a softer insert from a vendor here.

There is in fact a pretty sevier twisting motion in the rear trailing arm, more so then the fronts.

9. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #9 k-huevo, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Be aware there are two different mounts for early and late model (May 2003 up) trailing arms; one rocks mostly, and the other rotates mostly. The exact demarcation date is not clear, here's what to look for.
    Late model - primarily rotating within the bushing.
    [​IMG]

Early model - primarily rocking motion.
    [​IMG]

Having used the poly inserts on the rear on an early model, I would caution against a poly replacement. The inserts added an unpredictable rise in spring rate to the rear. I value uninhibited range of motion.

10. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    So what do you recommend? OEM? Spherical Bearing?

11. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yeah with this being my DD, and a car that most likely wont ever see the track, i think your setup is a little over-boat. That and i cant full justify the cost for a part that I, a mediocre driver, wont really feel the full benefits of.

What is the main difference between these bushings and an OEM filled w/ RTV ? You end up with a "solid" bushing either way. I assume the stock w/ RTV would in general be softer ?

The durometer for the bavauto is 75, which is MUCH softer then PF bushings.

EDIT: Just general, i have the later bushing.

K-huevo, really looking forward to the photos you post.

12. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    You have a unique application, I recommend observing your trailing arm mount while lifting the wheel. Look to see if the bushing is being stressed beyond its capability, it may even be limiting further lowering. If no binding or stretching, then OEM. If overstressed, then a custom fabrication. I'm not a fan of conventional rod ends though.

13. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Well for giggles, i put in "2005" on bavauto, and apparently those bushings are meant for early style, not later. GAH.

OEM i guess it is.

14. Onasled Racing

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So, I am having a real problem dialing the date that these new designed arms came in. I was under the impression it was late '05 but when questioned by Nathan I figured i'd better do a little homework. My findings were not what I had thought, but this post makes me think I should not have doubted myself so much.
    Thoughts?

15. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    There were two separate updates for the 1st gen trailing arm. The bushing it self changed in May or '03 and then the whole arm was changed to the AL one in late 06 or something like that.

16. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    First part of that statement is correct. the only AL arms on the R53 were on the GP's.

17. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thats what i thought, i could have sworn it was said once that late 06 Minis got them too, but i wouldnt be surprised if that were wrong to begin with.

18. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I have a August 06 Checkmate JCW with steel trailing arms and 12 MM lug bolts