Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires RECS needed: SS Brake Lines & Brake Fluid

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Mar 7, 2011.

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to get input on recommended brands/vendors for stainless steel brake lines and brake fluid.

Thanks!

Erika

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Goodridge SS brake lines and Motul brake fluid are good choices...2cents

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I got mine from waymotorworks and the ATE blue brake fluid .

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Of course I recommend our WMW SS brake lines. One of the biggest things our lines have that others don't is plastic coating on the ends where the line is connected to the fittings on the ends. This is important cause other lines like the goodridge don't have this and the lines ends up getting cut or frayed where it is crimped. Also we use factory style fittings on the ends so NO cutting is required to install them.

As for fluid I don't like the ATE blue. Had too many experiences with it causing a soft pedal. I suggest the Motul RBF600, plus it has a higher boiling point than the blue so it's a win win.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
  6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Grassroots Garage stainless steel lines and ATE Typ 200 brake fluid. Stay away from Super Blue unless you want everything (reservoir, brake lines, bleed hose) dyed blue. The advantage is you can tell easier when everything's flushed, but that blue color is annoying, and it never goes away.

If you're going to the track regularly, Motul 600 seems like a better choice. I drank the Super Blue kool-aid for a while, then got rid of the stuff.

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Still drinking the Blue Kool-aide here. Matches my paint job. :)

There are more than a few good choices for brake fluid. Read the spec's & choose according to your needs.

8. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    How many quarts/liters of brake fluid do I need to buy? (The Bentley is at home...)

Strictly VERY spirited street driving...no autox in the immediate future...but sometime down the road, probably next season.

Going with SS lines from Way.

9. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I bought 2 qts but only ended up using one in the pressure bleeder.

10. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    3/4 quart will flush the entire system, so just buy one.

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    It really depends on what you're using the car for. For track, I finally switched from ATE to Motul, and I'll stick with the Motul. I've never boiled it.

However, Motul really isn't good for a daily driver; it needs to be changed more frequently because of the inevitable water absorption. For a daily driver, and decent DOT 4 brake fluid will do.

12. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I've had bad luck with the Ireland SS lines, I guess you get what you pay for, I wouldn't spend my money on those again. The fittings rusted very quickly-even before they saw any road salt.

As far as brake fluid, unless you are really seeing extreme temps on the track, the Valvoline Synthetic dot 3/4 off the shelf of your friendly local parts store is great stuff and inexpensive. I've used it for daily driver use, lots of autox use, and even track day use on race tires, never once with an issue. I've also used Motul and ATE fluid in the past without issue. I do bleed my brakes once or twice a year with fresh fluid, no matter what flavor of fluid I'm running.

Jason

13. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Waiting to hear from Way about the SS lines...does anyone know who makes them?

I need to get the brake lines IN MY HANDS by Friday.

The new wheels will be ready for pickup from the powdercoat shop and the tires will be ready for mounting on Friday.

Plans are to do the lines, rotors & pads on Saturday...get the tires mounted and then head over to BOTD (depending upon weather.)

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    2c, I have the WMW SS Lines and use the Motul :Thumbsup:

As far as brrake fluid qty depends on experiience. First time I did it I needed a quart and a addnl 1/3, next time I did it with only 1 qt. Looks like Ben's a little ahead of the curve needing only 3/4 qt. :cornut:

15. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I recently installed the lines and motul fluid from Way. I liked that the lines were covered in clear tubing so the dirt does not cling to the lines. I would suggest a Motive pressure bleeder. Made the process of flushing the system by myself simple.

16. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I love the motive, but the resvoir is so big, it takes up a bunch of fluid...

I wish I could find a screw on cylinder that would work as a tank expansion, then, when I'm just doing a quick bleed I could use less fluid and do the bleed job with gravity alone. You can do it without and expansion to the tank, but there isn't much margin for error, especially if you don't have another set of eyes handy...

17. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I get that a lot. :D:D

If you're using Super Blue / Type 200, there's no reason not to use the whole can when you flush 'em, the fluid's not going to be good a few months later when you go to bleed the brakes. I started using some expensive stuff that comes in 1/4L bottles, and it took 3 of them to flush the brakes and the clutch. I think Motul comes in 1/2L bottles, and you should be able to flush all four corners with one bottle if you're careful.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Overnight shipping for FTW! :Thumbsup:

19. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I don't understand the requirement for SS brake lines for a stictly street driven car?

Also don't think you need high temp brake fluid, all of that is total overkill for a car that doesn't hit the track - and I'm talking road course, not Auto X...I think both of these have been overhyped over the years.

The stock brakes on a MINI even with stock pads are pretty phenomenal, very few people (if any) will be able to overdrive their brakes just on the road.

I think you're wasting your money....

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Just part of a MINI owners youifacation. Yep MINIs come with some pretty good brakes & some folks want better overkilled ones. :Thumbsup:

IMHO money spent on brake upgrades is not a waste of money.... Your mileage may vary. :)