2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Red Temp light intermittent

1. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Do not try to open the tank before it cools down.

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    What year and model MINI do you have?

It is best to put that information in your signature, so you don't have to repeat it with every enquiry.

Dave

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    #6 Crashton, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    When the temp light comes on, do not continue to drive, not even for 3 or 4 miles. You can end up damaging your engine. Stop turn the engine off, open the hood & look at the coolant tank. If it is empty wait until the car cools & then add water, don't drive it low on coolant with a warning light on.

Hope the dealer fixes you up. I agree with Nathan they probably did not burp the air out after the repairs.

4. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    A buddy did that when we were working on a 87 monte carlo, resulting in the creation of the phrase "rusty water steam bath". It is a mistake he only made once lol :biggrin5:

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The interesting physics involved keeps the coolant from boiling while under pressure.... As soon as he released the radiator cap the pressure was obviously released and at that split second the water attempted a phase change from a liquid to a gas.... Ie: boiling water... This boiling water probably helped knock loose a lot of the rusty buildup inside the walls of the engine and radiator in that instant...

With that said.... Don't release the pressure on a hot cooling system.... Ever.... :frown2:

Do a radiator flush the correct way with chemical cleaners....:Thumbsup:

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I was over at Best Motor Werks this morning having Skooby's cholesterol checked. The subject of driving MINI's with temp warning lights came up. Anson the Tech said they have seen quite a few of those. His recommendation is not to drive your MINI when it's hot. The engines don't like it & they die in a most costly way.

7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    And hey, if you leave your car under a cover in the garage and never drive it all it will not get dirty and never use any fuel. You wont even ever have to wash it.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's a 2009 Cooper S. I cheated and checked out the Garage.

I'm going to wager that the coolant needs to be bled. Check the level in the overflow too.

9. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, I will check with the hubby to check that tomorrow.

10. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, it's a 2009 S

11. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,
    I did stop driving it and made it home safely. Saw the fluid drain under onto my carport. I called the dealer to ask why this wasn't looked at completely when I asked 2 weeks ago? So I had to have the car towed again 48 miles to our dealership. Results: Oil filter housing gasket had a leak, and the o ring gasket had to be replaced as there was a leak there as well. Which should have been caught 2 weeks ago when the valve housing unit was replaced completely along with the carbon blasting. Luckily I still had the autoguard with Hendricks, but egahds. I'm thinking as much as I love my Tiare maybe it's time to get the Fiat 4-door. The car ran fine on the way home.

12. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Don't blame the car because the dealership is less than competent.

And so yeah, once the issues are properly resolved..... you should feel free to drive the car in the Summer heat.

13. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'm not blaming her that the dealer didn't do their job. But I'm sure she would have been happier at home after just being there to get fixed again. I did give the service manager a peace of my mind as I had to use another towe from my CSAA.