Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Redline water wetter issues?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Professor, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Just would like to post this up for some folks to see. Might be common knowledge.

I used Redline Water Wetter on my last coolant flush. I had always heard good things. Recently (today) I inspected the coolant and found little brown drops floating on the top in the reservoir.

I think most people would look at this and think they had oil in their coolant. But oil mixing with flowing coolant usually turns into coffee looking color. After some research on what it may be I found an Evo forum with the thread I was looking for...

Looks like oil in the coolant... [MERGED] - evolutionm.net

Some good reassurance that noting is wrong. But I do think another flush is in order without the Water Wetter this time around.

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Been using the RP water wetter with 50/50 coolant and never had this issue...?

3. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    RP or Redline?

4. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Royal Purple

5. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Different ingredients I presume. Just thought it was interesting and all, can be a head gasket scare if research is not done.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Only use water wetter in the old Triumphs, you shouldn't need it in newer vehicles.

7. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Funny, I used it in my Evo and noticed the exact same thing and quit using it. I lived in Arizona at the time and it got quite hot (117+ degree summers in the valley), but even without the stuff I had no issues with overheating. +1 to Jim's post above.

8. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    What are you guys using it with; water, 50/50 or full antifreeze?

It helped mine run a tic cooler at the track...

9. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  10. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    +1 for Redline, used it in my track miata. 95-101* heat on the track and constant flogging with a big turbo setup the aftermarket koyo 52mm needed some help, I started using a heavy water mixture with Redline water wetter and saw about a 11 degree temp difference just with water wetter alone! Never saw any floating particulate...hmmm

May I ask how you performed your last coolant flush when the water wetter was added?

11. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    #11 Austinsynthetics, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    Amsoil's Coolant Boost

http://shop.austinsynthetics.com/Coolant-Boost-RDCBCN-EA.htmWhen needing additional cooling for your vehicle, may want to look at Amsoil's Coolant Boost. Competitive testing comparing AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost and Red Line Water Wetter® was conducted in an independent laboratory. The ASTM corrosion tests featured in this study are designed to simulate the most grueling conditions cooling systems face, and are the actual test standards the automotive industry relies upon for the approval of engine coolant products.Test results show Dominator Coolant Boost provides enhanced temperature reduction and corrosion protection properties over Red Line Water Wetter.

Dominator Coolant Boost when mixed 50/50 Antifreeze/Water had a 6 degree F reduction compared to a 3 degree F with Water Wetter.

In comparison, when mixed with straight Water, Dominator Coolant Boost had a 19 degree F reduction versus a 12 degree reduction with Water Wetter.

Brett

12. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
  13. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Is the Amsoil product safe/legal for race cars when added to distilled water?

14. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    If using distilled water, it must be mixed with 50% antifreeze before using Coolant Boost. Using straight water mixture is 2 oz Coolant Boost per quart of tap or softened water, if using Antifreeze mixture is 1 oz per quart of 50/50 mix.