Redline Water Wetter

Discussion in 'MINI' started by mini_racer, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Do you guys use this stuff? Does this product have any measurable benefit for our cars or is it more theoretical? Reading the product literature, it seems that only half a bottle would be required for our little 6.3 qt. cooling systems.

It seems like it could be cheap insurance.

2. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This stuff worked very well in my old Alfa racers, and also in the tow vehicles. I add it to the MINI as insurance for those 100+ degree days.

3. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Same here. Used currently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Been using Water Wetter or the Royal Purple equivalent for years. No scientific proof it works. I think it is more habit now than anything else. The science behind the product makes sense to me.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There are several equivalents...

I use it in every car I own, and run about 20% Anti-Freeze/80% DI water.

Matt

6. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I was also thinking that I might run a greater water mix coolant. BTW, where do you source DI water? What kind of local shop sells that? Can you get it at speed shops?

Given my location and garage kept vehicle, I likely do not need as much antifreeze as OEM specs.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    DI water - Deionized Water

Available at pretty much any drug store. I get mine at CVS only because it is closer than Walgreens.

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I have been using REDLINE water wetter in every water cooled engine I own. In the MINI I use it with water only. I believe reading the recommendation antifreeze and other agents at any percentage diminishes the effectiveness of the water wetter product.

The reduction of less than the 50/50 mix of water to antifreeze may be be done depending on the protection you wish to have within the temperature environment you live in. In some cases 10%(- /+) antifreeze for rust protection may be of benefit.

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #9 mini_racer, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Thanks, but I know what it is, just did not know it was readily available. Tons of it is required for semiconductor processing, just did not know mere mortals could purchase it on the street. Excellent.

10. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #10 k-huevo, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    The reason DI may be used in a particular industry may have more to do with costs of maintaining its processing equipment rather than its superiority over an alternative. Oversimplification here, but it would be less costly to have a HVAC tech change a deionizing filter, than paying for a dedicated crew to maintain a distillation boiler.

I don’t use deionized water for a few reasons. For one, it is an aggressive solvent and although the block and radiator core may be able to tolerate exposure, welds or connectors/fittings may contain impurities that will be compromised, deionized water also leaches chlorides from most plastics. Both Water Wetter and most coolants have oxidation inhibitors that will negate most of the possible negative aspects of deionized water. Distilled water does retain some ions and in that regard may be less optimum (mineral deposits), but organic/non-ionic components are also removed and it is less aggressive on plastics. Whatever your choice, regular coolant changes will minimize possible negative impact from either, just don’t use tap water in any case other than an emergency.

For efficient cooling, water without coolant works very well, Water Wetter improves the efficiency plus adds oxidation inhibitors.

11. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Sorry K , your recommendation did not come across to me clearly.

So, what type of water do you recommend to mix in the cooling system? Obviously not tap water.

12. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    On the track or autocross in the summer, distilled water and Water Wetter. For street use year-round in South Texas, 1/3rd phosphate & nitrite free coolant to 2/3rds distilled water.

13. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that. It looks like I need to take a drive to go and get some good water, and the Water Wetter of course.

14. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    To add voice, I greatly prefer distilled water as well. Cheap, easy on the metal parts of the engine, and available just about anywhere.

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    So would using this kind if product be a good idea for an older DD? Which for me is a spirited street motored 03 MC, 105K miles, with a rad that's got about 20K miles on it.

Mark

16. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am surprised at the use of deionized water.

At my day job we use a lot of it, and we call it "hungry" water, as it will eat up most any thing metal.

Brass - galvanized - steel fittings are eaten quickly. Stainless will last a lot longer, but if we want to stay we use "plastic" fittings wherever possible.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I understand why there is pushback on DI water as it is so pure and quite the solvent. However, once coolant and water wetter is added doesn't that fill in the "holes", so to speak and render DI less reactive?

18. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    So is DI used because it has less stuff in it than distilled water does? Then the WW keeps it from eating things.

Mark

19. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,930 / 1 / -0
    As found in Wikipidia;

Deionized water, however, is inherently acidic and contaminants such as copper, dust, stainless and carbon steel and many other common materials rapidly supply ions thus re-ionizing deionized water. The very lack of ions make deionized water unusually corrosive and one of the most aggressive solvents known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I read that too. Maybe we should just stick with distilled to be safe. :Thumbsup: