1st Gen JCW Refreshing Rufus - 2005 MCS JCW

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by agranger, Aug 21, 2017.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Wow and that came with a Dog! :D

2. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Gracie is my in-house QA team. She inspects all inbound packages for damage, completeness & tasty meat products.

[​IMG]

3. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I spent yesterday evening assembling brake hats/rotors... Loctite & safety wire... fun!

4. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Hey... Where is the MOTD 2018 forum?

Hmmm... Well. I was out running errands with my wife this morning and, by the time we got back home, the Saturday events after the panoramic photo (which I always enjoy doing) were already booked up (the apple pie run) or are on roads that I enjoy, but will have seen several times from other drives (ice cream run).

So... Saturday is now the time for the Unofficial Texolina Run! (Texas and Carolinas). I'm inviting anyone for a drive! 30 minutes after the panoramic photo is snapped (11:30-ish) we will depart from a spot at Fontana (place TBD) and make a run somewhere... my first thought is heading out on Hellbender, continuing south on 28 to Franklin for lunch and returning home via Wayah road, a Dragon rival (For you MSSD folks, it's the first half of Blimey's Tour of Terror). Maybe 4-5 hours tops, including lunch, so we are back home for a beer and the farewell dinner (which starts at 6).

I'll update here w/ details once I figure 'em out. Please feel free to invite your friends... Anyone and everyone is welcome.

5. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    Wayah is a great drive, one of my favorites!

6. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #286 agranger, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Well... I spent the day out in the garage, trying to wrap up several jobs that got started then stalled for parts.

1) New thermostat and thermostat housing were installed, including a new bracket for what I'm guessing is a coolant temp sensor (the bracket is attached w/ 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the thermostat housing in place). The old bracket had rusted out and the screws holding the sensor in place had fused to the bracket.

2) I had a valve cover leak after doing my work a few weeks back. I found that one of the valve cover bolts had snapped and another had been 'fixed' by someone with fix-a-thread that had crumbled. I found a new bolt for the fix-a-threaded one and I bought a new set of valve cover bolts (they were hella rusty anyway... probably a good idea to replace 'em before the heads round off.

3) I replaced the rear wiper motor. The original rear wiper arm had broken and the ferrule that holds it to the shaft of the motor had fused itself to the shaft, so I couldn't fit the new arm. An aftermarket motor wasn't too expensive, so I just replaced it and mounted the new arm.

4) While I had the coolant out, I replaced the coolant tank w/ a cool stainless unit I found cheap on NAM.

I put everything back together again and tried to start the car. I got no turn-over at all. Lights came on, fuel pump energized but no motion from the starter. :( I walked up to the front and could hear something pressurized leaking. Sniff... uh oh... fuel leak. I pulled the intercooler back off and saw fuel leaking out from around the top of a fuel injector. I pulled the rail to discover that an o-ring at the top of one of the injectors was missing! Grrrrr. I must have done something stupid a few weeks back. Luckily, you can buy new o-rings and don't have to buy all new injectors. I've got new o-rings and clips coming (just in case) and I'll re-mount all of the fuel injectors next weekend. Hopefully it was the fuel system not holding pressure that was stopping the car from turning over.

7. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @agranger - sorry I didn’t get that forum up until yesterday. here is a link (note we are also a sponsor again this year.. :) : https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/motoring-alliance-returns-to-minis-on-the-dragon-2018-motd.109/

8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Glad it didn’t start.. that could have ended badly if it has run.. also looks like you got a lot done!. :)

9. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yep, and yep. I always have a fire extinguisher handy when I'm working out in the garage... you never know what will happen!

Lots of work going on. The pile of engine parts is getting smaller and smaller (once I can button up the previous jobs, I'm down to the supercharger oil service (w/ associated gaskets & coolant flush), oil change and transmission oil change... all jobs that I've done before. I think I've got all of the parts assembled for the brakes and suspension work (I'm sure I'll find something else that needs to be replaced or has rusted through). It's starting to feel a bit more manageable and I've got a day off of work in a week w/ no wife in the house, so if I can get the car back to running state, I can start that next phase and hopefully be done w/ the engine stuff in the next few weeks (fingers crossed).

10. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Also... Myles pointed out that it might not be necessary to touch the fuel rail to do the timing chain guide job that I wrote-up, above. In the course of my valve cover bolt replacement, I was able to prove that he was indeed correct (and might have saved me my fuel leak problems... sigh). I've amended the instructions in the thread above and will copy/paste into the article system soon.

https://www.motoringalliance.com/threads/refreshing-rufus-2005-mcs-jcw.29878/page-13#post-400327

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Since I'm going to have the fuel injectors in my hands when the new o-rings arrive soon, I figured I'd look into what I could do to clean them at home.

I found a DIY YouTube video where the guy builds a spray can cleaner adapter to his fuel injectors and cleans 'em himself. I'll probably start with the backflush step, but it's a pretty good video.

I also found an adapter kit for sale on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Injector-Cleaning-Ocamo-Universal-Vehicles/dp/B075GGVJQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518623682&sr=8-2&keywords=fuel+injector+cleaner+kit

I ordered the kit, but it's coming from China on a very slow-boat, so it won't be here for a long while, but I'll have it the next time I dig down into the engine a bit (and the injectors aren't really that far down, so it would be a nice hour or two of puttering in the garage one day in the future).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I hate this sound!

That's a quick video I shot last weekend... fuel injector leaking at the top where an o-ring was missing. A new set of o-rings are on the way (top and bottom... why not).

13. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Good deal - thanks for doing the updates etc.. great stuff.

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Yea - that is no good..

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Mmmmmm... tracker says that my new fuel injector o-rings and clips will be here today! Something tells me I'm going to rip the envelope open like a kid on Christmas morning, run to do the install and then pray the car starts quickly before turning the key!

I've got Monday off work. If all goes well with the fuel injectors, I've got a transmission oil change and a supercharger oil change (along w/ gaskets, oil pan gasket and oil/filter change) left to do, then on to suspension and brakes! I can feel an end in sight! It won't all happen on Monday, of course, but I'll have all of March and April to do suspension/brakes/alignment... it's possible! :D

16. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    OK! The new fuel injector o-rings and clips arrived yesterday evening, so I got out to the garage today for a bit. I pulled all of the injectors, replaced top and bottom o-rings, clips, and remounted em. I got everything back together again and IT'S ALIVE! For some reason the battery was flat (had didn't been disconnected for the last 3-4 weeks) but a few minutes on the charger fixed that. I've got a full day off on Monday with my wife having to work, so I'm going to try a get a good 8 hours of wrenching in. Time to tackle the supercharger oil refresh!

17. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #297 agranger, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    The day went surprisingly well. The supercharger lobes looked almost perfect (a few nicks, but no wear on the coating, so the bearings are good. It felt nice and smooth after a few oil changes and a fill up. The old oil looked much cleaner than that in my first MINI, so I think the supercharger is good for another 80k miles! I spent an hour scraping and cleaning oil and dirt from the front of the engine... looks like the crank sensor seal has been leaking for a long time. A new o-ring and some RTV should help.

I still need to drain the oil, change the oil pan gasket, reassemble and refill the fluids... work for another day.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Aw crap... I was clearing up the workbench and found the electrical component that I need to replace to return the 2-stage function to the cooling fan. One more job to do before I button everything up.

18. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
  19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Great Thanks!

20. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #300 agranger, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Well... it was a good weekend out in the garage. I dropped the oil pan, did a massive clean-up (the pan gasket, plus the crank sensor plus the valve cover gasket had all been leaking for a while, creating quite a mess under there) and installed a fresh pan gasket. I replaced the oil filter and got everything reassembled from the supercharger oil service that was 1/2 done last weekend. New oil and fresh coolant topped everything off and Rufus started right up! Yea! I need to get out for a few drives to bleed the coolant system and get the engine up to temp so I can properly check the oil level

I do need some help from my MA peeps, though! I found that my bonnet micro-switch (figures out if the bonnet is latched properly or not) was not mounted properly to the bonnet latch... it looks like 2 ears have broken off of the plastic housing, so it won't stay put. A bit of playing determined that this is why I've got an extra idiot light on the dash (door ajar). This part is mounted on to the rear side of the passenger side bonnet latch. The hole it fits into is rectangular, so I don't know which way it is supposed to mount (and from looking at the latch, I could make an argument for either direction). Would one of you R53 owners please look at the sensor on your car and tell me if the wires are on the top of the switch or the bottom? I took a photo of the switch, below, so you can see... the metal flap, when the switch is mounted, is inside the metal bonnet latch. I just don't know the correct orientation of the switch as mine was laying loose in the engine bay. A new switch is on the way.

I'm quite excited as I'm almost done with my engine maintenance projects. I've got to do a gearbox oil change and then I'm done with phase 3 of 4 (Interior-Check: Exterior-Check: Engine-Check: Suspension/Brakes: Next on the list!)

[​IMG]