1st Gen JCW Refreshing Rufus - 2005 MCS JCW

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by agranger, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    For my rebuild I am only using OEM rubber hoses. They lasted 110,000 miles so I am sure the new set will last another 110.000 miles. Silicon hoses leak and never seal correctly.

2. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I had a set in my first R53 and didn't have any problems w/ them. They did seem a bit saggy over time, so I kept my eyes open for possible wear points (and I did clearance a spot on the radiator shroud when I did the install, but that point was rubbing on my OEM hoses as well, so I couldn't blame the silicone). The new set seems thicker and stiffer than the younger set (how often does that happen? :D ) so I'm happy. I'll report back on the install. (note: I always replace the clamps when installing silicone hoses and I take the time to order premium clamps... silicone is prone to pinching if you use the crap clamps from AutoZone (here's where I'm planning on ordering from: https://www.driftmotion.com/product-p/dm3017.htm)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I keep saying to myself that this year I'm going to wrap up Rufus's build and finish the engine bay. I've got a pile of new parts out in the garage, so I'd better get moving if I'm going to get it done for MOTD this year.

I had the day off on Monday, so I got to work on the list. Item #1 was installing the VHF radio (programmed for GMRS/FRS channels) that I originally bought and put into Jango, my first R53. Jango's second owner was in an accident and he pulled the radio before it was totaled by the insurance company. I bought the radio off of him about a year ago, but the new clutch and LSD work got in the way last year and I didn't get it installed. It is SO much nicer to have the built-in radio (with an external antenna) when leading club drives, so that was priority #1 for this year.

[​IMG]

Radio details are here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/dc-metro-minis-archive/135254-frs-gmrs-mobile-repeater-2.html

And programming details are here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/9th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-april-27-may-1-2011/208368-frs-radios-on-the-dragon-for-manual-setup-units-only.html

Step 2 was a wash. Jango's going to be in the garage for a while (engine bay parts going out to powdercoat), so I decided that I'd get a wash done so I can do some polishing and get a few coats of ceramic layered on.

The base of the shift boot (the internal plastic ring at the bottom) disintegrated when I put the new shift boot on last year, so I've got a new OEM boot on the way to me so I can strip the pleather off and get my new leather w/ red stitching one installed.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Do you knew of any suction cup antenna I could use for the back window? I wish there was a way to have a hidden antenna.

5. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I use a magnetic mount. When I'm not using it (99% of the time), I unscrew the antenna from the magnetic base, toss the antenna onto the boot floor and stick the magnetic mount onto the side of my CD changer that is in the boot. On my first R53, I pop-riveted a piece of steel to the side wall in the boot, so I could just stick the magnetic mount there and the antenna stuck out into the boot, but was so high that it never interfered with anything. When I'm running the radio, I just let the antenna wire out through the rear hatch opening and stick it to the roof (I keep a microfiber handy to clean both the base and the roof before adhering).

Here are some old photos from my first R53.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
  7. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I haven't had much time for Rufus in the past 8-10 months. My wife and I did a couple of drives and I got him out every other week or so for a lunch run, but I've been too tied up with other things... a kitchen renovation project, in particular, just chewed up a bunch of my time.

I got through the kitchen projects and wrapped up the pre-spring yard clean-up (10-12 hours in total), so I decided it was time for some 'me' time. I got out in the garage and just puttered about... a massive clean out of boxes and bits from the kitchen project. A good sweeping. Then I got into Rufus... the new Airtec intercooler went on with a new pair of OEM boots, a pair of cabrio braces and a new air intake silicone hose. I've still got a set of silicone radiator hoses and a pair of Canton coolant/PS tanks... maybe next weekend!

I forgot how relaxing it was to be puttering about in the garage. I'm not in a mad rush to get projects done before MOTD, like the last 2 years, so it was nice just to work at a relaxed pace (plus these are relatively simple part swaps... not in-depth maintenance / refresh nightmares) and putter about.

I did have a bit of a mess with the hood scoop. I had to remove the inner air guide for the OEM intercooler and one of the bolts that holds the outer painted scoop bit broke the plastic holder around it... probably overtightened by the bodyshop during reassembly after painting, so I'll need to get out the JB weld.

We also finally got the last of the old boxes and crap from a move (way too many years ago) out of the garage... so I had it all to myself. Wonderful to have a space of my own.

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Don’t use the silicone radiator hoses. They never seal right and just leak no matter how you seat them with any clamp. Trying to save you a headache down the road.

9. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I had 'em on my first R53 and had good luck with no issues. The new ones seem even more sturdy. I've always bought the best ones I could at the time and avoided the cheapies. We will see how it goes!

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Good luck. (Fingers crossed)

11. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #471 agranger, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    I've been doing an engine bay refresh... lots of new bits going in:

Airtec intercooler (stock boots)
    Canton tanks
    An OCC (a fairly inexpensive one from Amazon, but it has an easy empty hole and a dipstick, my 2 requirements)
    Silicone air intake piping
    Cabrio braces

Here's an in-process shot. I've got the install done, but I'm slowly working around the engine bay for a deep clean.

[​IMG]

Using my added coronavirus stay-at-home time, I'm in the middle of a very small detail mod... One of the things that folks on this board would notice, but few others would. I saw this mod once and thought it was the slickest thing I've seen, but I've only seen it once.

Here's an in-process shot. I've got a second coat of filler drying right now with plans to do more sanding tonight. It's all about the detail on this one and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it right, so I picked up some used side-scuttles cheap for the experiment.

[​IMG]

12. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I finally got the surface finish I was looking for with lots of sanding and high-fill primer. When I brought out the can of color, I found that it had leaked out all the pressure over the past few months. New can on order... more pics to follow, but I'm pretty happy with the look so far. Can't wait to see it in the blacked out scuttles and with a proper finish.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Looks real good so far

14. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    And a quick shot of the engine bay detail, almost done! Since I've got some new CR paint on the way for the side scuttle S project, I've got a few other bits off and getting primer, but it's looking pretty good so far! I finally did the deep clean and detail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 6 / -5
    Looks like brand new money !!

16. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #476 agranger, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    More puttering about in the engine bay. The UPS guy just brought my new Chili Red matched spray-paint, so I can get some color on my smooth-S side scuttle project and my little cold-air intake dress-up!

I placed an order this morning for a new Uniden R7 radar detector (my old one was 15 years old... has been on the shelf for a while... I decided to update tech before I spend time on an install) and got some fresh power steering fluid and some Motul brake fluid to do a bleed. While I was there, cabin fever got the best of me and I ordered a new TSW x-brace for under the car. I love Dr. Mike's designs.

I can see an end to my 'refresh project' in sight, so I've placed that one last flurry of part orders.

Here's my arts and crafts project for the day... getting rid of the last few bits of non-red color in the engine bay. The blue washer fluid caps got several coats of vinyl/plastic black paint and a bit of red from a paint pen for style. Same with the brake fluid cap... a good cleaning and some color for the raised text.

[​IMG]

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I did the same thing a few years ago. Nice little touch.

18. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I got my new CR spray paint yesterday, so I got a few new project completed!

I painted the inside of the cold air intake... one more little pop of color:

[​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  19. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired