1st Gen R50 Cooper Reliability of '06 Mini Cooper.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by M1N1, Jan 7, 2014.

1. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Have owned my '06 Cooper for about 6 mths now, and am a little concerned that I may spend more time looking at my Mini than driving it. I have recently read on various forums that there are problems with O2 sensors, CVT gearboxes, power steering cooling fans, etc. I have had my Mini in the shop because O2 sensor fault codes came up. I even had to take it in because I couldn't fill the gas tank (filler nozzle would shut off/not pump as though the tank was full). Now I am going to spend a lot of money on strut reinforcement plates, to stop my struts coming thru the bonnet!!!!!! Even when reading magazine website reviews of the 2014 Mini, many of the comments posted mentioned the unreliability of the Gen 1 & 2 Minis. Don't get me wrong, I love My M1N1. It's a hoot to drive, and looks great from any angle. Just concerned that it may be a money pit.:confused5:

Comments anyone?

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    The 05-06 are the best of the R53's as far as build and reliability. I have an 06 JCW from new and still have the original battery in it! I have never had any major trouble at all, hell if I hadn't done any mods the only thing would be oil changes, brake pads n rotors and a leaky thermostat gasket.

3. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Mr. Jim,

Thanks for the reply.
    Forgot to mention that mine is an R50.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Once you get a few little things sorted out you will fine. Also you should know you have the last and best modern MINI's ever made. They are not an appliance car like a Toyota or Honda take care of you MINI and it will take care of you.

I have an 05 and have not had any power steering issues at all. All O2 's go bad sooner or later and MINI extended the warranty on them.

As for the CVT I have no idea since I drive a stick. The main point is don't let other people problems influence your feeling for your MINI's because how you care for your car may not be how you maintain your car. I hear some people only change their every 12 to 15 K.

5. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Dave,

Thank you.

I agree with you on the maintenance point. I always use OEM, or better than OEM products from a reputable maker/seller (e.g. I would have no problem in buying maintenance items from someone like WMW), and keep to a regular maintenance schedule.

As for being discouraged by by other peoples problems, I would say that I am more concerned than discouraged. My wife and sons say that I am obsessed with M1N1. Always wanted a "new" Mini when they were first released, and when it became time to replace my daily driver, I bought the '06

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Cool, FYI you wife is just like mine and she is right. :D

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The 06's didn't have many power steering fan issues as compared with earlier years.

The CVT, well that could be "interesting". If you don't know the full story of the MINI you have, get the fluid changed in the CVT. It is not lifetime, that's just MINI marketing speaking. Each time a marketer type says Lifetime Fill an engineer's pen leaks in to his pocket protector a little.

Enjoy the car, enjoy the fun people you'll meet.

8. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  9. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Treat the MINI like you want it to treat you, and all is good. I treat mine like a particularly valuable Fabrege Egg. I've had more than a few cars in my time, but never anything I liked as much.

10. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Anecdotal horror stories on this and other forums had me looking over my shoulder for the first few months of motoring but as the years have gone by, with regular care and feeding, our li'l guy has given us near 60K miles of amazing adventures. Yes there was the thermostat housing, O sensor, leaky steering pump hose issues but that is all part of motor ownership. Regular oil/filter changes, tire rotation and a trusted indy's 'turn you head and cough' appointment makes sure he's ready to go any time any where.

Here are a few URLs that you may find useful.
    Mini Cooper Info. 1st gen. Minis, Mini Parts, Mini performance, Mini specs
    LightInSight - Windshield Mounted Traffic Light Lens
    MotorcycleRoads.US - Great Motorcycle Roads in the US
    RealOEM.com * Online BMW Parts Catalog
    Top Tier Gasoline

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #11 wmwny, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    I have 3 MINIs.

One is an '03 R50 cvt that has had no tranny problems in the last 50k or so. I did have a small leak when I bought the car in early '04 with about 2500 miles on it, but nothing since then. It is somewhat modded. I usually drive it to shows since its color and interior are very rare, but it has seen track days as well as MOTD.

My daily driver is an '06 MCSa that I bought new. It is also my HPDE and MOTD car and it is modded. It has just under 94k and the battery is original. It, too, has never had any tranny problems.

I just bought a used, bone stock [except for the STRPs I installed on it] '06 MCSa for my wife about a year ago with around 27k on it. It now has about 10k more and has been trouble free. She loves the car and cannot get over why it took her so long to want one.

Problems surface with older cars. That is a fact of life. I intend to keep all 3 of my MINIs. They are fun to drive, get lots of looks and have proven to be the most reliable cars I have ever owned.