Reminder to be Safe

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 11 (May 1 - 5, 2013) - TN / NC' started by Nathan, Oct 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yo never know what can happen, there you are cruising along at a comfortable speed then all of the sudden someone else is not paying attention.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2R4D1vBOM8]Dragon Time lapse - YouTube[/ame]

A member of the Corvette Forums was involved in a brutal Corvette-on-motorcycle accident that was captured in stunning detail by a on-the-spot photographer.

2. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I saw that the other day, the poor guy in the Vette never had a chance.
    Sure wouldn't want that to be my MINI....:frown2:

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That was crazy. Bike never made the turn at all. Not the cars fault by any means, but still got clobbered.. :nonod:

Jim

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    He was lucky the car headed off to the right & didn't have a good head of steam. Could have been much worse for the errant biker. Be careful out there.

5. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #5 Snooter, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Yup....you just never know what's coming around that corner :(
    Looks like both drivers were alright base on this article.

One more reason to just watch your speed on the Dragon.

I may be in the minority here, but personally I've never liked the idea of photographers on the Dragon. Just seems like a unncessary distraction on such a dangerous road. If you click thru the frames on this site HERE you can see the guy waving to the photographer and then seconds later veering out of his turn. Just makes you wonder.

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Only takes a nano second of distraction to ruin your day. I too noticed the wave to the camera. As much as I enjoy getting my dragon mugshot I agree with you Snooter.

7. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Apparently another rider wiped out later that day due to some fluids from this crash still on the road. Not sure how serious his injuries are but from what I read he was hurt.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #8 Dave.0, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Breakfast at Fontana today is: Random Biker Sunny side up with a side Corvette homefries.

Minus .5 points for not sticking the landing.:D

9. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    German/Swedish/Finnish marine propulsion equipment
    New Orleans
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    You can only control yourself. I will be attending my first MOTD, and practiced in November with this in mind. I drove up and down Pikes Peak Mountain with the goal of my tires not touching any painted lines. I almost made it. On the way up one of my front tires touched the white shoulder paint on the outside edge. I didn't drive granny either, drove moderate. I have already surmised that the MOTD is a celebration of the dragon, the minis, and those who attend. It's not a time trials event. I'm happy to keep that on the track and hope others do the same (at least while I'm out there)

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Very well said Scotty & I agree with you completely. :Thumbsup: Unfortunately the dragon brings out the red mist in many road user's be they on 2 or 4 wheels. Be careful out there folks.

11. Nelzie

Nelzie New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have no problem with photographers being anywhere. It's when you are on a road that is dangerously curvy, you pay attention to the road and what is in front of you, not stuff off to the side and you certainly don't take your eyes off the road either!

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I like to drive the Dragon with my windows down so I can see out of the side windows and hear my tires gripping or loosing grip in the corners.

No radio (music), two hands on the wheel, No Waving and eyes on the road.

Save the wave for Fontana.

Remember to always pay attention because the life you save could just be your own.

13. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

14. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I do treat the double yellow as a wall but that would be scary.

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Unfortunately, too many people see 129 as a time trial, and that has made a fun road into a very dangerous one. Way too many people spend their whole MOTD experience rushing from one end of the Dragon to the other...all day long, from dawn to dusk...some, even through the evening hours. To me, THAT, in itself, is insane...mostly because there are so many other interesting roads to drive down there.

Stay in your OWN lane...AT ALL TIMES! If this means you have to go slow...so be it. The consequences for not following the advice [given by those who HAVE come to the Dragon before] are not just painful and expensive, but all too deadly.

16. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Just a reminder...it's going to be (possibly) wet and (likely) quite chilly at night.
    Wet conditions = hydroplaning
    Cold temps = loss of tire grip.

So, with most of us running summer tires, chilly temps during night time drives might get a wee bit dicey. Unseen puddles on the roads can cause you to hydroplane in less than a heart beat.

Let's be careful out there....

17. jgc_tn

jgc_tn New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    SCII & MSWA & Fitness Instructor
    E TN
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.............It is on the news here all the time about folks getting hurt (or worse) all time on the Dragon :( That's why I will see you guys on the other side!! :wink: