Remote oil filter and other oil acessories

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by nabeshin, Dec 31, 2009.

1. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Along the lines of oil filtration, oil starvation, Accusump, and windage trays...

Has anyone made a windage tray for the Tritec engines? I can't seem to find anything.

I know a remote oil filter can be added to my oil cooler line (Aeroquip) but can the stock oil filter be removed entirely? Perhaps keep the cover screwed on but no filter inside. I've already disabled the oil dummy light and have an oil temp and pressure gauge. Will the computer not like that the switch inside the housing is not depressed?

I guess I don't like that the stock filtration system has a bypass. Plus, getting to the remote filter for changes will be easy, the oil cooler thermostat is in the way of the housing right now. It will also be nice to use readily available and higher quality spin on filters.

I'd also like to get an Accusump for good measure, and for the cool technological factor. There might not be a place to mount it though.

I might get a larger oil cooler and mount below the aluminum bumper, as opposed to my small one mounted above.

I have all the tools to work with Aeroquip, (special cutter, hose fitting vice, braided hose fitting funnels, and lube) and I'm practically an expert at it since I've redone my oil cooler, thermostat, and lines a few times.

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Not yet, but it won't be long.:cool:

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We made some for our race engines, but haven't made enough to sell to the public.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    One of our club members has a remote oil filter on his Justa, he said it was a kit he bought from one of the MINI parts suppliers.

I never found changing the oil on my '03 S to be that big of a deal that I'd want to switch to a remote......unless there's better filtration or something to be had by doing it.

5. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, as I tried to say above, my after market oil cooler thermostat completely blocks the oil filter. There is enough slack in the Aeroquip to move it some, but it is still a pain.

I'd be interested in a windage tray if anyone made one, probably one of those gated oil pick-up baffles too. My oil pan gasket is leaking again. I might try using some liquid gasket, à la sport bikes, on both sides of the oil pan gasket instead of a simple - stays mushy - sealant.