Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Remove Preload from Coilover?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by M^Cubed, Oct 27, 2009.

1. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That is what I was wondering and why I stated that I thought my setup might be different. It seems I can turn them up further and lift the car, but I can't get any lower. It does look like a lot of wasted space in there.

2. Dinan604

Dinan604 New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, what do you mean lowered the bottom? Because on my set of instructions, they told me to lower and raise the car but loosening the bottom most collar and then doing one of the following:

To raise the car, spin the middle collar counter-clockwise. To lower it, spin the top most collar clockwise.

I still have quite a ways to go to lower my car car and with 215/45/17s, it was basically a little less than a finger gap between the tire and the edge of fender.

3. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My cross setup from RMW looks very similar to yours (all the way down in the front). If you need any measurements or a pic of what they did/should look like when all the way lowered on the original springs (without messing with pre-load), I can do that tomorrow when it's light out.

I wish I understood more about suspensions so that maybe this would all make more sense, but see if I've got this right. You had the same set up I have, swapped to stiffer springs and this raised the car by well over an inch in the front? That's impressive. Maybe I missed it, but mostly out of curiosity.. may I ask why you changed out the springs?

4. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yes! This would be greatly appreciated. I went with different/stiffer springs because the car was a tad bouncy with the 7/6 setup and because the swift springs don't change rate through out stroke like the cross springs. Even though they are linear, they aren't very consistent.

5. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Here is how it sits at its lowest [​IMG]

6. Dinan604

Dinan604 New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that is high....are the springs taller as well?

Just to make it clear, you were adjusting your height via loosening the lowest collar and then adjusting the top two collars depending if you were raising it or lowering it.

Also, what year is your car?

7. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Same length springs - car is a 2005. And yes, I was unlocking the lower collard and spinning the top most collar clockwise into itself

8. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Even if the springs were taller OR shorter, the height would be the same because I am pre-loading the absorber to its full extended length.

9. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok.. so I don't have 3 rings on mine (I thought about that earlier, but though I must just be remembering wrong).. so I don't know what that means (any hints? :confused:), but here's what I've got.

What it looks like with the wheels on (17x7, 40mm offset) and about -1.0 degree of camber.. maybe a little more. I've got other/better pictures if you need of the stance with wheels on.
    P1011968.jpg

minus the wheel..
    P1011977.jpg

~7.4 cm between the body and the lower (of my two) collars
    P1011971.jpg

There's also about 17-18mm between the top collar and where the threads end up top (where pre-load could be added to the spring). Looks very similar to yours to me.. except for that whole missing collar buisness o_O

10. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for all your time to do that! Where the helk is your bottom collar? HAHAHAHA.

Is your wheel turned or do you just have that much more castor?

11. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So now I am confused... does the stock Cross spring sag THAT much?

12. Dinan604

Dinan604 New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you mean pre-loading springs? I run zero pre-load on my springs as well and I still have a couple of inches to lower it....weird that yours are bottomed out already. Is the height exactly the same on both sides? I'm only asking because they could've have become seized due to sand in the threads on the shock body.

13. Dinan604

Dinan604 New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure...although you did have a different set of springs than on mine. Either way, their springs...and dampers aren't exactly what I would call created with minimal tolerances.

14. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I thought that there might be sand in there causing them to seize, but both sides are equal. Could be the dirt on both sides. I might disassemble them when I get some time and find out. I know Danny at MiniCorsa's car is sitting pretty low.

15. ninjlao

ninjlao New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In a word...yes. If you have all your Cross springs try to measure it. More than likely your fronts will be different lengths from each other.

16. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    BUMP just to let you guy know... I might be an idiot. I was turning the top perch clockwise and not counter-clockwise. I think I might have them LIFTED all the way up instead of down and I'm a complete tool. Looking at the JIC-Magic site, counter-clockwise is DOWN!

I will try going the opposite way tonight, for some reason I thought I was lifting the car going counter-clockwise? Maybe it was just my righty-titey / lefty loosey train of thought.

17. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Well.. that was a complete failure. They were indeed at their lowest. I spent about 5-10 minutes spinning them the opposite direction just to lift the car.