Replacement/aftermarket seats

Discussion in 'Tip's, Tricks and How To Articles' started by FUEGO, Jan 21, 2019.

1. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have a July 2005 build R53 and Aum replacing oem seats with Sparcos. The factory seats were heated, and have 4 connectors for the body harness. One was for seatbelt, one had to be for airbags and guessing three other two were heated seats (flat 3-pin?) And the seat pressure mat/sensor. The Sparco seats have the seatbelt connector only.

My question is what do I need to keep the front airbags active. Do I need the emulator module for each side, and to program/code the settings to ignore the mat sensor? Or do I just need the emulator modules, or just to program with NCS Expert or NCS Dummy? From what I've read the dual 3.9k Ohm resistor trick works only for pre-facelift MINIs built before January 2005.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You need an airbag resistor. You can find them on eBay. It only disables your seat airbags and not the others.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave O.

So I ordered and installed the passenger seat mat bypass module (eBay from Ireland). I still have the airbag light and know I'll need to get it reset. I can't find anything that shows what the individual connectors under the seats are for. I had heated seats and I'm pretty sure the large flat connector with the heavier gauge wires was for the heated seats, The blue connector plugs into the seat for the seatbelt tensioner. There are two connectors remaining. One is a small black connector with a black and red wire, and the yellow connector. I added one 3.9 Ohm resistor to the yellow connector for each seat. I'm hoping that was correct - I found one picture of it with the resistor on MINI2. No clue what the small black connector is for. I had hoped that adding the resistors would clear the seatbelt light but it didn't. I've dug through the Bentley manual and can't find anything showing any of the seat connections.

In the bypass module kit I ordered (from Ireland) it came with a "seatbelt resistor" but best I can tell it ohms out at 6.9 Ohms and I only have one, so stuck with the only info I could find rather than ordering a matching part. What am I missing? Do I need to get the seatbelt light cleared also when I get the airbag light cleared? My R53 is a 'facelift' August 2005 build.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4