Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: Replacement of run-flats with non-run-flats

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I haven't driven them

so I can't comment. But I have found the tire reviews and comments on Tire Rack helpful.

Matt

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    second that

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #4 Jason Montague, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
    Trash the Runflats

:Thumbsup:I haven't used those tires but your idea is a great one. I have Falken 215 45 R17's(other M/A members will come up and tell you their thoughts on the best tires). Discount Tire' gave me a deal' on them and they're doing okay. The main thing is that they are 5-8lbs lighter/tire than Run Flats. You are dropping 'Unsprung Weight(5lbs/corner and 20lbs total).' Now the next thing to do(and what I did)is to put those tires on 'light' after market wheels(I got OZ Allegarettes 14lbs ea vs 24lbs ea for the factory light 8 spoke wheels). Having thereby dropped ~18lbs/wheel or 72lbs total;your car will perform like you had installed a very expensive after market suspension upgrade(on my car the before and after handling difference was incredible).Keep one of the Run Flats on a factory wheel in the boot(standing upright)for a 'Real Spare.'I just can't emphasize enough the immediate improvement that you will get in handling by just(significantly)Decreasing your Unsprung Weight.Light wheels are not cheap but,they are much cheaper than new:Koni's,TSW springs,adjustable end links,and heavier rear antisway bar with or without installation charges.Just My Opinion and there are MANY opinions on this.:Thumbsup:Happy Motoring:cornut: Jason

4. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:
    last post explains it very well
    boxcars

5. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    A buddy of mine put Toyo Proxis 4's on his Saab 9-3 convertible. They were fine. He liked them and the price/performance equation worked out really well for him.

Toyo sponsors a lot of the autocross events in my area and they have provided tires to some of the cars. I think their tires are pretty good as an alternative to the major (also more expensive) brands in general.

If you get them, please write up a review on your thoughts after a few months of driving with them.