1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Replacement radiator fan sources

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #21 Dave.0, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/174040-low-speed-fan-resistor-we-need-solution-38.html

Don’t buy that Doorman crap. Here is the solution I have used after mine failed in 2007 and have not had any issues since. See post 113 in the tread below.

Also I am still using my original fan assembly from 2005.

Mouser Part #: 284-HS100-0.47
    Manufacturer Part #: HS100 0R47 5%

Below I have died some pictures of how the Mouser part is mounted and wired. Please review the NAM thread for all the specifics.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/174040-low-speed-fan-resistor-we-need-solution-3.html

Attached Files:

2. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I first installed an aftermarket one and , though it worked, it was noisey and vibrated a lot. Got a stock one from MINI and noticed the fan blades were individually balanced with weights attached at various locations. I also kept my old one so I can fix the broken resistor coil myself and just swap the radiator the next time this happens .

3. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    For what it's worth, I am confident most "fan failures" are actually just the fan relay which is mounted in the fan housing...ala the part just mentioned above from Detroit Tuned. You'll want to do some soldering when replacing the relay, and still need to pull everything apart to get at it...but once you to you'll see the resistor inside that I believe is what primarily fails...it is an extremely simple circuit that absolutely will fail over time...might as well consider it a maintenance replacement item.

This was a common fail that was talked about here on the forum in the past, with DIY resistor replacements outlined...haven't seen much mention of it since the relay replacements became available.

There is a test to determine if your loss of low speed fan is due to the relay...maybe a check of postings on the forum would find the old thread.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'm with Way on this....

You know the old saying " there always seems to be time to do it over, but never enough time (and money!) to do it right the first time"

Buy factory parts - you get a 2 year warranty too!

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!
    My low speed went out years ago when you had to get a hole new fan. I got an aftermarket and it has been rock solid for years. Detroit Tuned offers a new relay so you don’t have to get a whole new fan asimble. People have had good luck with it. Here’s a link.

http://www.detroittuned.com/dorman-fan-relay-kit-gen-1/

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Your MINI Dealer now has a repair kit for the fan too, you might check with them....my understanding is it's a plug and play solution.

7. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We've tried using aftermarket Aux Fan's and they just fail a month or two later so we only install OEM MINI fans now. Buyer beware, they are cheaper for a reason.

8. vargasgal

vargasgal Club Coordinator

May 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you know if the one manufactured by Dorman is the stock one or is it aftermarket too? I got the impression on NAM they made the original part.

9. vargasgal

May 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any suggestions on who has a good price on an OEM one? I know darn well it isn't my dealer.

I am pretty sure there weren't any on Way's site when I placed an order for all the other stuff that has crapped out on my car in the past month.

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Going on 2+ years on the TYC fan. Good warranty, good part IMO. I usually prefer OEM, but the OEM is simply defective,, and needs updating IMO.
    If you buy an OEM, You will need to buy another one when it fails...if it fails after the part warranty fail...cause it WILL FAIL....
    The TYC has a lifetime warranty...depends on where you buy it...and my local mini guy has not had ANY failures of them yet...more than I can say of the OEM making an aftermarket part is to re-engineer a part (mostly copying, but electrical stuff does need some adjustment)....not just copy it to try to save a few $$, maybe the resistor that fails is a bit different...different maker...and if it does not fail...it fixes the weakness in the factory design!!
    Since part of

11. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We sell EVERY OEM MINI part, we have a great supplier for them. If anyone is ever looking for ANY OEM part just email or call. I just don't have time to put each and every part on the site.

You have to order the fan specific for your production date, there have been a couple variations.

12. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Marketing Manager - The Cleveland Clinic
    Cleveland, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How difficult is this install? Any worse than pulling and replacing a radiator?

My stage 1 fan just went. 2006 R53 with 58,000 miles. $720 plus tax to have the dealership do the work...no way that is happening. :frown2:

13. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    A bit simpler actually....
    You still have to pull the bumper and bumper support, unbolt, and fold away the AC condenser...pop the 2 pins that hold the radiator in place....
    You may/may not have to go to service mode...Might have been quicker....I did it without it...but it was tight!!
    $720 is kind high IMO.....but it is the dealer, and they have lots of overhead for you to pay-for.......nice shiny floors...free coffee...big couches....Heck I know one that has a MINI driving simulator( a seat, steering wheel, an bunch of flat-screens, etc).....and video games....They tend to be nice places...but you pay $$ for it all...it is not free!!
    If you are interested in saving some $$$, it is not hard for a DIY...not super simple...but doable.
    Most Mini centric shops, Like WMW could probably do one in an hour or so...
    Places that don't know MINI's...don't scare me like that!! :eek:ut:

14. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good to know. I've pulled the radiators on Subarus and VWs before, but never on a MINI. I was looking at my Bentley manual last night and then I eyeballed my car this morning - it does not look that difficult. My only question is whether to go OEM or aftermarket. The OEM part does not seem to scream "quality", so I may go aftermarket knowing that I will likely have to replace it again either way. AutoZone offers a Dorman unit with a lifetime warranty for way less than OEM.

Yep, I never expect a deal at a dealership. I spent 9.5 years working in one in a previous life. :)

15. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I bet the motors in the OEM are better than the cheap one...but since they are just DC motors..the brushes will wear-out someday anyway...if the Dorman is a good price, go for it...but it might be the same TYC unit..with a different label...the TYC label was basically indiscernible from the OEM...the difference was the resistor looked different (THANK GOD!!) and the fan housing motor had a different color plating...at $85+ shipping, I figured it it lasts as long as the typical OEM, great...they seem to go every 3 year or 40k...sometimes less...but like i said, some have a lifetime warranty...and my local MINI guy has had great luck with them....

WMW does have great support...I would not hesitate buying anything from him, OEM or not!!

16. tmors424

tmors424 New Member

May 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Zip- Try 1800RADIATOR. Ask if they have an OEM replacement fan or a direct replacement. Chances are they do. I have had very good luck with them. Mini does not make radiators or fans. They source them from company's like TYC, Dorman, Denso, etc. If you can find the same brand the OEM used from another vendor, chances are its the same part but you dont pay for the Mini name on the box. Good luck.

17. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    IMHO go with WMW. You can't go wrong.

Mark

18. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ended up ordering the TYC unit from a recommended vendor on e-bay. $78 shipped.

Hopefully I will not regret the decision, but I'm really not sold on the OEM one being that high quality. If MINI had fixed the obvious design flaw in the factory part, it would be a completely different story. The install is not fun, but I can buy four of these for the price of one OEM...

19. vargasgal

May 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I went with the Dorman one from Rock Auto. Looks like they will have it to my house in less than 24 hrs.

I debated going OEM, but the Dorman one has a better warranty. If it goes bad, all I would be out is another pain in the ass install. Fingers crossed!

20. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I came to the same conclusion....if the factory parts gets revised....the all bets are off!!
    The fact that MINI was passing out new fans under warranty like candy to kids on Halloween (about 3 years ago when I was under warranty....at one point they were out of stock, and told me they would change it "next time"), and still have not changed the basic fan desgin...means that have chosen not too fix the OEM part...MINI/BMW is usually pretty good about revising problem parts.....
    My local MINI guy keeps a few in the shop...that is how common this issue is...and he stocks VERY few parts (He works on maybe 30-40% MINI's)...but with the fan, he knows he will use them!!