1st Gen R53 Cooper S Replacement radiator fan sources

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by vargasgal, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #21 Dave.0, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/174040-low-speed-fan-resistor-we-need-solution-38.html

Don’t buy that Doorman crap. Here is the solution I have used after mine failed in 2007 and have not had any issues since. See post 113 in the tread below.

Also I am still using my original fan assembly from 2005.

Mouser Part #: 284-HS100-0.47
    Manufacturer Part #: HS100 0R47 5%

Below I have died some pictures of how the Mouser part is mounted and wired. Please review the NAM thread for all the specifics.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/174040-low-speed-fan-resistor-we-need-solution-3.html

Attached Files:

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Your MINI Dealer now has a repair kit for the fan too, you might check with them....my understanding is it's a plug and play solution.

3. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I first installed an aftermarket one and , though it worked, it was noisey and vibrated a lot. Got a stock one from MINI and noticed the fan blades were individually balanced with weights attached at various locations. I also kept my old one so I can fix the broken resistor coil myself and just swap the radiator the next time this happens .

4. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    For what it's worth, I am confident most "fan failures" are actually just the fan relay which is mounted in the fan housing...ala the part just mentioned above from Detroit Tuned. You'll want to do some soldering when replacing the relay, and still need to pull everything apart to get at it...but once you to you'll see the resistor inside that I believe is what primarily fails...it is an extremely simple circuit that absolutely will fail over time...might as well consider it a maintenance replacement item.

This was a common fail that was talked about here on the forum in the past, with DIY resistor replacements outlined...haven't seen much mention of it since the relay replacements became available.

There is a test to determine if your loss of low speed fan is due to the relay...maybe a check of postings on the forum would find the old thread.