Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: Replacement speakers?

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I still have sheet music for Frankie!

Learned the accordian many, many moons ago, but sadly, haven't played in quite awhile.

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    iovecables
    Make sure you pick up some cheap panel removers. I got mine at Harbor Freight. Side them in between and the panel will pop right off. Be patient with pulling it off the top edge. Best with the window down. Don't lever it out just up.

Apex
    I used the wires that come into the door and attached them to my crossover. Then I used the existing wire to the tweeter and a new short one to the woofer. As long as you're not pumping lots of power you'll be fine. My amp is 100w/channel.

For the amp I made it so I could remove it easily be putting M and F connectors on the factory wires and then wires back to forth to the amp.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    You can install a loud exhaust like I have in Poco, and you don't need to worry about sound quality ...LOL

Mark

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I could not stand a loud exhaust. Smooth & mellow is OK.

Jim that setup is for a gen 2 MINI, mine's a gen 1. I don't dislike my radio as is it sounds better than the oem R56 unit IMHO. It would just be nice to hear all the notes Frankie Yankovic can get out of his accordian.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X74GkKr04Do]‪Frankie Yankovic And His Yanks - Hokey Pokey Polka (1950s)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure why, but every time I order from them, the total comes out a bit LESS then I figured, which is a good thing. :Thumbsup:

Jim

6. Shifter

Shifter Member
    Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Southeast Michigan
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    #2 Shifter, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
    I purchased Polk Audio db6501's for the front and db651's for the rears in my R52. I haven's installed them yet so I only know they are close in size and should need a minimum of coaxing, if that. In regards to speaker efficiency, I believe these Polks are at least as efficient as the OEM's. I'm guessing here, as I've not seen that OEM spec printed anywhere, but the Polks are rated at about 92 db which is better than average so they should sound at least as loud as the OEM's, but with higher quality. I think your R53 has 6 x 9's in the rear. Edit: I too am running the standard radio for '06. and the Polks are available on Ebay for less than in stores.
    Rock on while you Motor On!

7. 10Zero

10Zero New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Westminster CO
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Polk Audio DXi 650s and DXi 350s up front for me. The DXi650s are 92db, and the DXi 350s are 91db....which is better than the stocks up front and much louder with better clarity. I did not replace my rears, read somewhere that the OEM 6x9s are like 92db sensitivity. I channel swapped, and added a small powered JVC subwoofer in the rear, and am very pleased with it. It'll kick the butt of any factory HK system.

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    What I'm looking for is a nice speaker that has more clarity. Volume is not a problem as I listen to my music at lower levels. No sub in my future.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. I'll check out the Polks....

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Clarity....... and then more volume..... It's progressive....
    Kinda like the Silverbacks getting more silvery.....:cryin:

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Chuck, I just installed this with by standard radio and love it. All "plug & Play", adds an amp which really makes a big difference. No sub boomers and the like. I highly recommend the set up. :Thumbsup:

NewMINIStuff.com

Jim

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hahaha....
    I'm going to stick my neck out and bet everyone there, including the musicians, had belted down a few beers beforehand.....:D

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Then try this: NewMINIStuff.com

Jim

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Bring it to the dragon & serenade us old guys. :biggrin5:

14. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    #13 quikmni, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    I installed the Polk db6501 in the front of my R53 with non HK stereo (no amp or sub).
    The 6.5" speakers fit in the door and I used the stock covers.
    The 1" tweeters fit in the stock location with the stock covers but I did add a little epoxy to make sure they stayed where I wanted them and did not rattle.
    I placed the cross-over in the bottom of the door with double-side tape.

I did not install any rear speakers because I have a GP with no rear speakers.

The Polks sound much better than the stock speakers. Much clearer and the bass is much better. I did a little comparison with my son's 2010 GTI with 8 speaker OEM system (350W stock amp) and the Mini OEM with the Polk speakers sounded better.

I have the cross-over set to +3db and the highs can be a little bright so I need to remove the door panel and adjust the cross-over. I would suggest 0 or maybe even -3 db with the stock head unit.

sonic electronix has the db6501 speakers for $120.
    Polk Audio db6501 6.5" 2-way Component Car Speakers System (db 6501)
    Crutchfield will price match sonic.

A great mod for $120.

15. davepb326

davepb326 New Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am also looking at upgrading my speakers... R57 6 speaker standard system. 2009 MINI Cooper S L4 1.6L > Interior > Speaker > ES#1599518 Retrofit Kit For MINI HIFI / Alpine System - Priced Each Kit - 65412153318 (which i found a Retrofit Kit For MINI HIFI / Alpine System) Would this be worth the 541.00 + shipping that they are charging?

NewMINIStuff.com which is a FULL upgrade kit for the 2nd gen Mini. shipping, and exchange rate put this up in the 6 - 700 range. I am not an expert in audio installs, i think the last one i did was a kmart blue light special in a 79 chevy monza 20+ years ago with exposed wires and all.

Would the complete kits make this easier, and less chance that i will mess up the wiring, be stuck with a humming, and worse, fry the electrical. What do you think...

Just upgrading the stock speakers without an amp, did that really make a big difference... i know that mine sound like a clock radio, and i cant have that.
    any info would be great
    Thanks

16. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    For my R53, just replacing the front speakers without an amp was a great improvement for the $120 I spent on front speakers (no rear speakers in my GP). An amp would be nice for better bass but did not seem worth it in my GP with no rear speakers and a lot of road noise.

17. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I installed the Newministuff full upgrade and LOVE it. It is plug & play and not hard to install. I completely recommend it. :Thumbsup:

Jim

18. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... I've been considering the upgrade myself. I'd like a better range on my stereo. The lack of Bass is annoying. No, not the license plate rattling kind. Just low-end range is poor on the oem stereo. I have a hard time hearing Vic Wooten playing while listening to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

Jim, the prices listed are in GBP. After exchange and overseas shipping what did you end up paying for your unit and which did you get (amps/speaker combo)?

19. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0

I got this one and option #1 below. The 250 front speakers are fine for me. The sound is unbelievable. If you have hands free blue tooth, the call will come in over both the front and the back speakers, which is very nice.

It was almost $700.00, after shipping and such.

Jim

NewMINIStuff.com

20. davepb326

davepb326 New Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    speaker kit upgrade

jbewley,
    the upgrade that you ordered from newministuff, did that include the wiring harness, (looms) for the channel swap, and runs for the amp? Install instructions, and everything else needed? Did you have to buy anything else for completing the install, door panel removal?

Does anyone know of a 'local" company in the states that is offering anything like this?
    Thanks in advance.