Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen Replacement speakers?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Crashton, Jul 31, 2011.

1. davepb326

davepb326 New Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AirBag light

So, if the seat is disconnected when the key is in the ignition, the airbag light will go on. Must be reset.
    The seat was not fully connected :(

2. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Reviving this old thread.
    I'm considering replacing my front speakers with Kenwood's KFC-P709PS system.
    Does anybody know whether the cutout for the woofer is big enough for these?
    Some say it is, some say it isn't.
    I like the fact that there is no crossover box, thus making the install a bit easier.

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Crutchfield installation guide says they do not fit but I do not have personal experience with these P709PS speakers. Crutchfield does show that P509PS do fit.

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    The cut outs will fit a 6 1/2". Those say there 6 3/4" but the thing that is important is how big the the frame that extends back is. If it's 6" or less then it should fit the hole. The other part is the depth. I think at 2 3/4" you should be ok. Mine are about that.

Mounting the tweeters will be more work as there isn't much room. I have Kenwood tweeters, I don't know if there are the same, but it took a little modification to get them in. Mine had an extra removable bezel. once removed they fit better. The MINI HK tweeter covers will provide some extra space.

You may want to think about a smallish amp like this Pyle pyle-plmra120-marine-waterproof-2-channel-amplifier or BOSS boss-r1004-riot-400-watt-4-channel-car-audio-amplifier

I have the BOSS as I replace the rears as well. It's mounted to the filter cover under the glove box. To do it over I'd get the 4 channel Pyle. Both have high inputs for your existing speaker levels

5. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Tweeters aren't really a concern - if they don't fir the factory location, they can always be surface mounted.

The woofer ITOH is a different story.
    The dimensions of the cutout needed for the woofer is 4-15/16 inches, and the mounting depth is stated at 2-3/16 inches.

I've already visited a ton of websites including Crutchfield to try and figure this out on my own without talking to a local car shop who will want to sell me something, or taking the panels of myself and measuring - with my luck lately I will probably break some of those plastic pressure fittings when the parts department of MINI Ottawa isn't open.

6. Apex

Apex New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Quick question for you guys regarding wiring new component speakers in a R53. How did you wire them up to the cross-overs? Just take the wire that came into the doors and run it straight into the cross-overs, or did you do additional wiring? I actually want to keep the OEM head unit and just upgrade the speakers.

7. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    iovecables
    Make sure you pick up some cheap panel removers. I got mine at Harbor Freight. Side them in between and the panel will pop right off. Be patient with pulling it off the top edge. Best with the window down. Don't lever it out just up.

Apex
    I used the wires that come into the door and attached them to my crossover. Then I used the existing wire to the tweeter and a new short one to the woofer. As long as you're not pumping lots of power you'll be fine. My amp is 100w/channel.

For the amp I made it so I could remove it easily be putting M and F connectors on the factory wires and then wires back to forth to the amp.

8. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks - will check out Princess Auto. No Harbor Freight in this area.