1st Gen R53 Cooper S Replacing cylinder head....what do I need? Tips?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Vernon29RW, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    The Head will need to be "Surfaced Flat" at a machine shop. ARP's are the BEST!! do you NEED them?? Nope!! But they are well worth the bit extra for them in cost and clamping!!

Just me..........................

Thumper

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Take the replacement head to an automotive machine shop to have those tests performed. If the head is no longer flat, you will know how much requires milling from the deck, if it is within an acceptable deviation tolerance, cleaning is all that is needed.

3. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    How old is the used head?

How many miles do you have on your motor?

depending on these things...

Really all you NEED is a new head gasket and some copper spray.

I definitely recommend head studs...

As for the chain tensioner, it's cheap enough, just replace it. You can drop the chain if you like it tends to make it easier. You need a magnet to retrieve it though. ;) The chain cannot slip off the bottom there is a guide it will not let it slip off.. the crank however, can TURN, which if you didnt mark it can be a huge PITA. But I can walk you through it over the phone how to make sure it's TDC if that happens.

4. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was told by the original owner of the head that it came off a car that had around 80K and my car has 46K. I've never seen any of these motors apart before so I dont really know what the gaskets are made of? I've seen plenty of mopar engines (used to work at a jeep,chrysler,dodge dealer) and alot of them use rubber d sized "orings" for the intake manifold and a metal exhaust gasket, both which can be reused. Do we use similar materials? If so I'll probably just get a head gasket, head studs, chain tesioner and tstat gasket? and that's about it and put more money into the machine shop funds to make sure this head is cleaned and tested properly.

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    There you go... have fun!!

Just me....................................

Thumper