Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: Replacing Goodyear GS-D3 (205/50/16)

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I"m curious too

as I've been a fan of GS3Ds for a long, long time. Near perfect mix for how and where I drive. I'm sad to see them go the way of the Dodo....

Matt

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    honestly... GS3Ds were ok... but not the best tire I've ever had. I am loving my Direza's Star Specs... but at 200 they are probably too low a wear for you.

3. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I mostly like my Direzza Star Specs too, but NOT in standing water! They hydroplane like Miss Budweiser!

Loved my GS D3's... sniff...

_Dave_

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    They are still available if you are willing to consider 205/55-16 (and wider selection of other choices also in that size).

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The NeoGens are good tires - I've enjoyed running on them the past 2 years - but I don't think they're in the same league as the GS D3's. I run F1 all seasons in the winter, and they're more "extreme" than the NeoGens - but not on hot pavement.

I'm going to Bridgestone RE-11's next.

6. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
  7. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    At 205/50 the sidewall is (205*.50) 102.5mm (4.0"). At 205/55 the sidewall is 112.8mm (4.4").

I don't really want to increase the sidewall height, and the .8" difference in diameter is pretty high.

8. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #9 am0eba, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Yeah, 205/50-16 outer diameter is a perfect match for the OE 205/45-17 "performance" runflats that come with the Sport package. Would really hate to go bigger..

Outside that size range, the new Yoko Advan Neova AD08 whatevers are looking pretty sticky:

[​IMG] Tirerack link.

_Dave_

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Have you considered the BFG KDW's?

I am in the same boat as I love my F1's, but they are going to have to be replaced this summer. I have several friends and club members who love the BFG. I have driven a couple of cars with them on and I can say I really like them. So they are going to be my choice for new tires.

10. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I looked at the KDW at some point. What do people say about the tire noise, though? Tire Rack's test included "What We'd Improve: A significant reduction in tread noise"

Also, anyone on Toyos? I tend to forget about them because they aren't on Tire Rack, but the T1R seems like a possibility.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I never really noticed any more noise than what I got from my F1's.

The Toyo's are a nice tire but they are a bit more expensive and don't have as good a wear rating.

12. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I know some folks whose KDW's got REALLY noisy after a bit of wear.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    San Antonio, Tejas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had KDW's and really liked them, especially after the runflats. They were noisier, but not so bad. I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto PE 2's and I really like them. They are quieter and smoother riding than the KDW's. I did a few parade laps at a HPDE the other day and had no problem. I haven't really tested them other than that, but for everyday driving, they are great. Also just got an email that Discount has the $70 Michelin rebate again.

14. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Don't like the Continental Extreme Contact DW

Saw this thread show up after The Incident. Good time for an update.

I did get the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires, and I did not like them. Tire Rack mentioned their propensity to follow grooves on the freeway, and boy do they do just that! Even after a 500-mile break-in period, they were still really squirrelly on some sections of freeway. It felt like the car was hydroplaning in the dry. (I will say that on my one drive on fairly wet freeways last weekend they were great - unlike the tires on the Dodge Magnum fishtailing away from the stoplight next to me. They also had a much more forgiving ride than the Goodyears did.)

I went by Discount Tire this afternoon, and despite the clerk's skepticism, Continental had no problem having them returned. I could only hear his end of the conversation, but it seemed to be a "no questions asked" policy, which is good service on Continental's part.

So next week I'm going to Bridgestone RE760 Sports instead. I considered going up to 205/55/16 (2% difference in revs per mile) and sticking with the Goodyear GS-D3, but my suspension is getting stiffened up at AMVIV and I decided the Bridgestone's softer ride (per Tire Rack) will be a better way to go. I imagine my tires will be a weak link compared to what Way is doing to my suspension, but I drive hundreds of highway miles for every fun back-road mile so it seems a good trade for me. I'll let you know.