Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Replacing the Crank Sensor O-ring - R53 - Discussion

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Cough "Stealership" Cough :rolleyes:

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of the oil pan gaskets that have been changed on 1st gen cars were not needed, the oil was coming from the crank sensor and following the lip of the pan.

You will not spill any oil out of the crank sensor hole, it's WAY above the oil level, even if you tip the engine.

I've replaced a bunch of these o-rings over the years, and not one car has needed a pan gasket after drying up the oil coming from the sensor.

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    See "Figure 4" in the article linked on the first post. One end attaches to the bottom of the engine, near the oil drain bolt, probably where the lower engine mount (dog bone) is. The rear strap goes anywhere solid near the back of the car... looks like I chose a small square bracket that is right under the exhaust pipe. Just don't pinch a brake line or anything like that.

Holding the engine weight on the upper engine mounts will be fine. I wouldn't drive it like that, but it will be fine for the purposes of the repair.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Mine was super easy to do.
    Called Helix
    Scheduled Appointment
    Paid a small bill for them to do it and my hands stayed clean. :lol:

Support you local independent MINI shops. :Thumbsup:

I support Helix with my business and Dragon food and homemade Christmas cookies. :Thumbsup:

If you think about it your mechanic has your life in their hands when they are working on your car because if something fails "at speed" you many not be around to long.

5. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #11 agranger, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    You know, that's a good point. My friend was in for an oil change, so we did this in the middle of the oil change for safety. I just assumed that it could be an issue, but that sensor is fairly high up there... no way that it's submerged in oil all of the time. In fact, the sensor is above the point where the dipstick guide tube enters the block and that is above the point where the dipstick measures the top of the oil in the sump, so leaking oil out of the sensor hole shouldn't be an issue at all, even with the few inches that the engine is rocking.

That's a handy thing to know. I wouldn't have said to do the seal replacement without draining the oil as I've never done it that way myself (despite what my theory says) and I wouldn't want to lead anyone down the path to a mess like that might cause, but with your actual experience to back up the theory, I made an update to the article. Thanks!

6. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Must... not... post... reply! (said in my best James T. Kirk voice)

7. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    Glad I found this thread. I'll be doing the same thing soon. Hopefully, it's the root cause of all the oil around my oil pan and I won't have to replace the oil pan seal...which I already ordered.

8. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Glad you ordered it, because it's a MINI, meaning that your oil pan gasket is also leaking. Unlike the Crank Sensor Seal, you will need to drain the oil to do the pan gasket, unless you are a BOSS (kidding. Boss or not, you'll get an oil shower if you try).

9. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see I am not the only one using the ratchet strap method. Just need to be careful though, I have seen people overstress the upper mount this way.

Good write-up

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for contributing this to the library.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Nice write up!

Thanks....

12. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Thanks agranger, I will be doing this in the Spring, you have just saved me some time and grief for sure.:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

13. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Thanks again for another great write up.

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    And another great write-up added to MY library!

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Glad you liked it.

I replaced this sensor o-ring when I did my supercharger oil and oil pan gasket a few months back (that final pic is of my engine w/ the sensor sealed up w/ extra high-temp RTV and a new o-ring. It was easy to do while I had the entire front clip off of the car because nothing was in the way.

This weekend, I was helping a local club member out, trying to figure out how to squeeze my fat hand in there to do the job when a tech walked by and told me about the ratchet strap trick. Very handy! As soon as I saw how easy it would be with the engine rocked back, I knew that I had to do another MA article.

Christy has an oil leak. It is either coming from this crank sensor or from the oil pan gasket and we couldnt' figure out which. It was the MINI tech again to the rescue. He recommended doing the crank sensor because it was cheap and easy (much like myself), changing the oil and cleaning up the front of the engine very well. Then at the next oil change, we can assess if it will need a new oil pan gasket.

16. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Very good point. I just added a note to the article. Thanks!

17. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Nice write up I changed mine while replacing the water pump last year. One thing I was wondering why drain the oil when changing the o ring? When I did mine the oil didn't leak out. I wouldnt think the level sits high enough to come out of the hole. Is it because your tilting the motor?

18. MarkK

MarkK New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started to do this repair by this method. Being my first time in that area, and with a significant amount of grime in there, I decided to put my car into 'service mode', which was more work, but not difficult. I would say that if this is your first time doing this job, I would recommend the 'service mode' way of going about it. Thanks for all the great pictures on this repair. It was all very helpful!

19. MarkK

MarkK New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 10mm bolt that secures the crankshaft position sensor... is there a torque setting for that?

I did utilize the extra space and view by tipping the engine back using this method, even though I put the car in service mode. I have big hands, and no hoist, so it was helpful.

Also, it was good to get the power steering cooling fan off and see how full of muck it was... it is very easy to take off, and it needed a good cleaning.

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    10mm bolts do not need much torque. Clean bolt & use some 242 loctite.