Review: Paint chip repair Kit - DrColorChip.com

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by PGT, Aug 18, 2010.

1. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    First off....if you guys don't want this post here, please feel free to move it to another forum. Thought it made the most sense here.

Generally speaking, the paint on MINI's is good quality compared to other cars I've owned so this might not be a big deal for owners. That said, the 2008 Subaru WRX STI I owned and just sold had terrible paint...first year of the new water-based paint under the new EPA regulations. Tons of paint chips....front, rear, side, everywhere.

There was a TSB from Subaru on repairing the paint on the rear fenders...it involved adjusting the doors outward to protect the exposed edge, repaint and then a large area of clear bra compared to the small stock one. I tried several times to get local dealers to address this but they all :eek:ut: when I pointed out the issues, saying 'first we've heard of it!'. Yeah, right.

here's a pic of the rear fender area - its a bad pic with a blackberry and while it was raining but you can see the dozens of rock chips

[​IMG]

I decided to forego the manfacturer-covered repaint of the car and do a DIY fix....figured worst case, I'd fight with Subaru of America if it didn't turn out well. A resprayed car is worth less (even if done under warranty), right?

On to the info....ran across a random comment on a Subaru forum about a guy that used a repair kit from DrColorChip.com. Did some reading and seemed to be legit. I ordered the 'large' size kit, color-matched with my OEM paint code. I ordered the large b/c I had a ton of chips. The 'medium' kit would have been plenty. Think I spent $63.

The kit comes with excellent and detailed instructions. You start with a clean car (duh). The kit comes with the color-matched paint, an acrylic. It comes with a milky 'blending' solution, an applicator cloth, a nitrile globe, a microfiber towel and several excellent detail brushes in different sizes. For large areas, you're supposed to smear the paint on with the nitrile glove. For small areas, the brushes are better. It cures pretty quickly....15-20. Best results say 30-120 minutes before using the blending solution. The blending solution is a solvent that's safe for the OEM paint....it removes the excess acrylic. The idea is to fill the chips then gently let the solvent bring the new paint down to the level of the OEM paint. The acrylic fully cures within 24 hours at which point the solvent is useless so be sure to 'blend' everything you applied (I found a few spots I forgot...there were SO many!).

It works and it works fantastically!
    I was concerned with my car as red is the hardest color to match as it oxidizes and its clear when red cars have been repainted. When looking VERY closely, one can tell there were chips that were filled but you have to be looking for it. This product passes the 'five foot test' and I'd even venture to say the 'one foot test'....

Here's the result:
    [​IMG]

I traded my car in on a new Mercedes at the local dealer. They were very happy with the condition of the car, remarking 'this is one clean Subaru....'. I got $25500 for a car I paid $28300 for 18 mos and 20k miles before. I KNOW it would have been far less had the rock chips been evident or had the car been resprayed.

I've recently ordered two additional kits....one for the new Benz and one for the wife's new pearl white Infiniti - it had a few tiny chips from a 1500 mile road trip we did in July.

Overall, I give this product an A++!! Money and time well spent....clearly I had a solid return on my investment of $60 odd dollars and a couple of hours time. Hope this info is useful to

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Wow, impressive results for sure. I might have to try this product.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The work you did looks fantastic. Any idea on success with metallic paint colors?

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Works great on my space blue, color match is perfect, give it an A+ too. Note for deep chips it may take a few applications to fill.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Never used it on my cars, but I have done it for folks that bought the product, but were afraid to do it themselves. Nothing better then having someones else's paint to learn on:Thumbsup:

It did seem to work well, but I've not done any dark colours yet.

Mark

6. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #6 mini_racer, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Also PGT, how did you address those filled-in chips that were inadvertently forgotten about when leveling? Fine sand then polish?

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    my wife's FX35 is a metallic pearl white. it does ok....I'll have to have another look as its now had a few days to cure.

for the few spots I forgot, I had a can of Eastwood's PRE - it's a pre-paint prep spray. That and a bit of elbow grease with a microfiber and I was able to bring it down. Once the car was done, I waxed it and buffed it before going out car shopping. Frankly, I spent more time tending to the car in the last week of ownership than I did the entire 18 mos combined :lol: I know that's sacrilege here in this forum but with a new job and 2yo at home, there were more important things. :D

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff. Congrats on the excellent trade value and your new wheels! I've been a Langka fan for a couple of years - nice to see a good writeup on this alternative.

I gotta do a full detail on our 2001 Town and Country this weekend, with some PDR and paint touch-up and polishing out a lot of defects, to prep for trading in the next week or so. Ugh. There is no joy in prepping a car to go away. Necessary evil, I guess.

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Definitely no fun in sell prep, but if you want top dollar......

PDR can be very effective, but often interior panels must be removed to get to the backside of the sheet metal. So, evaluate the backside of the dings and just take it apart as needed calmly, before you even get to the PDR guy.

10. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Let me just say, I am glad your car wasn't really pink. I was a bit concerned there... :yesnod:

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I think Blimey is his own PDR guy.

Mark

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Because he already knows his way around a piece of metal. ;)

13. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    :lol: it does look a bit salmon. I assure you, it was bright red :beer

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  15. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I think you meant Paul, and OK I didn't know.

16. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Do you think this would work where I have a blister in the paint? On my 4Runner there's a spot that has a small blister coming thru, about the size of a pencil erasor. I was going to sand it down and spray with some off the shelf matching color (black). Would this be a better bet or is it primarily for chips?

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
  18. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    a blister is generally from rust. break it open, treat the rust, then use this stuff to fill. should come out better than rattle canning it.

19. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    you need your OEM color code from the door jamb. I've ordered two kits that they didn't have listed (my STI was one) and they matched it. Just because its not listed doesn't mean they can't do it. :Thumbsup:

20. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Cool