Revised R56 Unichip kit

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Unichip Jack, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Unichip Jack

Unichip Jack New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

Unichip has been absent from the R56 market for several years, as lots of you know.

When the R56 was first released, we enthusiastically purchased one of the first in our area. The tuning was straight forward and the power sweet. Our harness manufacturer designed the harness which worked well in our car so we pulled the trigger. Big smiles all around…

Unfortunately, quickly after the kits reached the field, some experienced a problem – limp mode with a loss of power and CEL. The problem, however made no sense because it occurred off boost as well as on... but it happened too frequently to be nothing. No local cars had the issue, but when we finally got a problem kit back to install on our car… we saw the issue quickly.

Our harness supplier custom made the female ECU pins because the OE pins were unavailable… and the material used was insufficient and some of the female pins stretched open and stayed stretched. You couldn’t see the stretch – it was well under 0.1 mm – but we could see the continuity break on an oscilloscope. As small as it was, it was sufficient to cause short duration open circuits and drive the ECU into backup mode.

With a known cause, we looked for a solution but found nothing viable for the way we then designed harnesses. The only option was to pull the kit and not participate in the R56 market… which we reluctantly did.

Several years later, pending plug unavailability for our 5.7L Toyota harness (our bestselling kit) took us in a new design direction. Instead of connecting at the ECU as we had always done, we looked at the individual sensors… which aren’t restricted. We created our first STS kit… it became even more popular than the best seller it replaced. That was two years ago and they’re still selling strong.

We followed up the 5.7L kit with a Jeep JK kit… same results. We followed those two up with a FR-S, BRZ, and Toyota 86 kit… now our number two seller.

That brought us back to the R56. Tuning, power, and drivability weren’t the issue, and now we had a potential harness solution. With a little digging, we found the necessary connectors and made some prototype kits. Initial and follow on testing went seamlessly and after some successful Beta testing, we started production… in house… where we control everything… not outsourced like the previous kit… with OE parts/pins… again not like the original design.

The redesigned kit keeps all of the Unichip’s upside… no footprint, PC reprogrammable, custom tunable, easy installation, etc… and incorporates a bullet-proof harness.

Here’s a link to the installation instructions for a feel for what it looks like and how it goes into the car… http://www.unichip.us/system/uploads/assets/R56%20StS%20instructions.pdf

Here’s a link to the dyno results with a bone stock R56… http://www.unichip.us/system/uploads/assets/R56%20Dyno.jpg

I’m sure some won’t consider the kit based on the fault with the first R56 kit, and we certainly understand trust is hard won and easily lost. We’ve been selling performance kits for hundreds of applications around the world for better than 20 years, and we’re confident this one will be a great performer. We hope we can build back the trust.

If anyone has any questions or comments, I’ll be more than happy to answer them… please shoot me a PM, put up a post, or give us a call.

Cheers

2. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the update. I wish you all the best!

3. bearcat245

bearcat245 New Member

May 2, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Status update on Unichip R56

I am strongly considering getting the Unichip for my R56. I have upgraded everything except for the ECU. My goal is to have my MCS 2008 R56 as fast or faster than a stock JCW. I don't really know my horsepower, but guess its around the 190's with Cold Air intake, exhaust modifications and new intercooler. My question is how is the selling going of your latest kit release and do you have any feedback from new users? Looking to get up to 210 to 215 hp.
    Thanks
    bearcat245:Thumbsup:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Don't waste your money on a uni-chip when you can get a custom tune coded to your ECU. NO WIRING REQUIRED.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I had a Unichimp on my MINI. Supposedly set for my mods. Pinged like crazy, a friend tried it on his MINI with similar mods, ping a ding ding for him too. Sold off to someone over on the sewing site, it is most likely still making MINI's ping years on.

With the availability of good custom tunes Unichimps just don't make a whole lot of sense. :nonod:

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There is a reason Unichip no longer advertises here.

The product, well, not that great in the MINI application.

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Well apparently they do still advertise here. Isn't that what post #1 of this thread is doing?

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Note the date of the thread. 8/15/13

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Well it still lingers & advertises, but yep I missed the date. Never read those. :p

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Keep up old fart!:D Your making the rest of us old farts look bad!